Building / Contract manager jobs in Brisbane/Gold Coast areas ?

veronica

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help please? Right up until a few weeks ago we were all set to go to Perth and my husband said what about Brisbane or Gold coast and since researching I feel a lot more excited about going to the Gold Coast as there seems to be a bit more going on there especially for our 17 yr old and 19 year old kids, we agreed we were booking flights and accommodation etc this weekend as we need to get things organised ( i.e one big thing the quarintine centre our dog will be going to!!)as we are leaving in June. What we really need to know is what are the jobs like in the Brisbane Gold Coast area for the building trade? my husband is a contracts manager (commercial) and has been for about the past 10 years although he is a carpenter/joiner to trade. Any information would be greatly appreciated as he now thinks Perth maybe better for work, obviously this is the most important factor as no matter where we go we won't succeed without jobs.

many thanks in advance

Veronica

My best friend's husband works in the industry is civil engineer and has overseen a lot of projects, however he has also been made redundant numerous times due to lack of projects in the area. They have lived in QLD for 13 years now. Cannot count how many different people he has been with, companies come and go. He was last out of work last year but as he has a lot of connections in the industry he is re-employed now. I would do a significant amount of research on what jobs are available. Also if your husband returned to being a carpenter, I have noticed that people here on the forum have struggled to get work on the Gold Coast.

Good luck

Hi,

Take a look at http://www.seek.com.au for suitable jobs, it will give you an idea of where the work is at. My husband is also a CM / PM (carpenter/joiner) by trade. Having done various job searches for him I would say for work, Sydney and Melbourne are his best bet, followed by Brisbane, then Perth, then Adelaide and the Gold Coast.

Good luck with the decision. We lived in Sydney for five years (2003 - 2008) so will return there unless a good job comes up in Brisbane. We would love to settle around Newcastle (NSW) if we could, but the jobs seem to be in the big cities. My husband has been in touch with his old contacts in Sydney and the building industry is not doing so well at the moment, let's hope it picks up this year!

Archived