Type 1 diabetes

Guest Adele Brennan

Guest Adele Brennan

Hi there this is my first post, have lots of questions but my main one concerns my 11 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. We are hoping to move to the gold coast in July. Firstly can anyone recommend good private health care, what costs are covered by Medicare and what support is avaliable? We have permenant 176 visa. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

First stop GP and he will register your son with the National Diabetes Scheme. Also will probably refer him to a pediatrician and the ped will get him into the hospital system. My daughter is type 1 since 12 and she got the best of care in the system. Not in private health because if you are then you can get charged for all the blood tests. Join Diabetes Australia Queensland and they will be able to supply you with all the information you need. Prescriptions of insulin are given in six monthly supplies for the price of one prescription. Because he will be a registered diabetic he will have reduced costs for blood testing etc. The hospital will arrange dietician, diabetic educator and blood tests three monthly. I live in Victoria and this is how it is but it will probably be the same in all States. My daughter was looked after till she was 25 and then they have to look after themselves.