Pregnancy on 457 Visa

Guest Stereotongue

Guest Stereotongue

Hi,

i arrived in Sydney last week on a 457 and have just started work. My wife is still at home for the next 2 months as she is pregnant.

Will we be able to register for Medicare and what will it cover regarding her pregnancy ?

will we have to pay a huge amount for her to give birth here ?

Thanks in advance

Stereo

As UK citizens you can register for medicare. You will get a yellow "reciprocal" card. This entitles you to any treatment deemed medically necessary before your visa expires. The main difference between this and full medicare that PR and citizens get is that you won't be covered for elective procedures (e.g. the snip, any surgery that can be put off to another day, etc etc). Pregnancy and giving birth is covered on the reciprocal scheme. Others will hopefully be able to give you a run down of the costs, but pretty sure they're minimal if you stay in the public system.

Hi, I can confirm that the pregnancy will be covered by Medicare (I'm going through it now!) - register quickly and then go and see a GP so that he prepares a referral for a public hospital . Once you are being followed by the hospital then you don't have to pay anything (obviously I'm talking public hospital).

I'm in Melbourne so maybe procedures are slightly different for Sydney . I must say I can't complain about the ante-natal care so far - it's been really good.

Guest Stereotongue

Thanks both for such propmt responses. Someone told me today that they thought it wouldn't be covered so I was beginning to stress.

When can I register ? - i seem to remember reading that I have to be here ten days before I can register....

Stereo

we registered a few days after we arrived. We went to a medicare centre with our passport/visa and we were issued a temporary card with the Medicare number until we received the proper card at home. If your wife is 2 months from giving birth I would then go straight away to a GP with your temporary card so that they start the referral etc straight away - it can take a few days to get processed and then for the appointments to come through.

Guest Stereotongue

My wife is just over 3 months pregnant, so she will arrive when she is close to 5 months pregnant. Thats plenty of time to sort things right ?

it should be OK although she will be due for the 20 weeks scan ? Might be better to get it done before you leave as if you miss the 20 weeks deadline I believe it's more difficult to get the measurements required to detect any anomalies with the baby - maybe have a word with your GP to see what the best timing would be ?