Coming on holiday to check out where to live

KathleenandCraig

Hi

We are coming out on holiday some point between April-June. We need to go to Melbourne to visit my sister but we would also like to visit Adelaide and Perth. The reason is that we are considering them both as possible destinations to move to next year. We have not visited either before but both appeal.

Our question is: Travelling from Manchester, where do we go first>second>last, how long should we spend in Adelaide and Perth? Maximum I think we could commit to is a week in both as we will only have a 3 week window for the visit to Oz.

When we have visited Melbourne previously we came Emirates, any views on airline choice? Would you recommend any particular time of the year to come during our window? Mainly based on cost, weather is less important - if we are going to live there it’s only fair we see it in all seasons.

We appreciate any help you can offer.

I'd fly out to Melbourne first - two reasons: first, more choice of airlines to fly there than Adelaide, second, you can leave your big cases at your sisters while you visit the other two places and just take carry-on bags for the internal flights, which may mean you can get cheaper fares.

So get your UK return fare to and from Melbourne.

Then get Jetstar or Virgin Blue (or Qantas if they're doing offers, or Tiger if you like living dangerously!) to Perth, from Perth fly back to Adelaide, then fly from there to Melbourne, call in see your sister again, pick up the rest of your luggage, and back to the UK! When you are booking your international flights, ask the agent about any deals where you can get a free internal flight thrown in - some airlines do this occasionally so worth checking.

Try and avoid April - Easter holidays and school holidays will make internal flights and holiday accommodation more expensive. I'd go for May if possible, or late April, as June/July can be the rainiest months (here in SA anyway) and even though it won't feel all that cold to someone used to a UK winter, nothing is much fun in the rain! Have a look on the sister site www.pomsinadelaide.com for furnished holiday accommodation in Adelaide, and there is probably something similar on the Perth sister site :biggrin:

Archived