Hairdresser or Hairdressing Lecturer?

Guest Wheezee

Guest Wheezee

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of applying for a skills visa to take me, my partner and our two young children from the UK to Auz. I have successfully applied for my TRA and completed my IELTS exam but my emigration agent is now, after all this time and expense, voicing concerns because I work mainly as a Hairdressing Lecturer at my local college rather than as an in-salon Hairdresser. I'm getting incredibly frustrated. Is my agent being overly cautious or is he right to be concerned? I thought that having had my skills verified by TRA this wouldn't be an issue.

Any advice or shared experiences would be most very welcome.

Many thanks,

Wheezee x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidkiwi

Hi Wheeze, I don't live in Oz I live in NZ....just thought id clear that up first....But I just had some thoughts on your question which might apply generally on your application. Firstly usually your Job and qualification have to be relevant so if you say you have been teaching hairdressing do you have PTTLS, CTTLS, DTTLS or Cert Ed? This would be relevant to your current work situ... If you are on the floor hairdressing do you have the NVQ and current work experience?....Do you see where I am at? (Sorry I should say I am a hairdresser too)....I have a salon in Auckland NZ and recruit from the UK and never use agents to do the paper work I find them time wasters and expensive and you do a much better job if you work through it yourself. I moved from north east uk 20 years ago...hope all goes well... good luck!

sorry to butt in on this friend but I notice you mentioned you sponsor hairdressers to come over. I have a frined looking to migrate to regional victoria and a willing sponor but not sure what the next step will be. She has 15 years experience and also NVQ level 2. Would this be suffice ?

thanks

I thought Hardresser was no longer on the Required skilled migrant list ?

Just curious as its how my wife got us out here two years ago on a 176 Visa and we only just made it, due to them removing the ocupation. ? I might be wrong but its woth checking.

Hairdresser (391111) is now on Schedule 2 of the SOL http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf - not sure if this means its eligible as a primary applicant under GSM or whether it can only be used for an additional 5 points as a secondary applicant to a schedule 1 applicant ?

Richard

• 4 months later...

Hi davidkiwi,I am in the early stages of trying to migrate to NZ or OZ.I have been an hairdresser for 25 years,the last 7 being a lecturer at my local college.I have a Cert Ed and NVQ level 3 qualifications.I am looking for a sponser and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.Thank you.

Hi davidkiwi,I am in the early stages of trying to migrate to NZ or OZ.I have been an hairdresser for 25 years,the last 7 being a lecturer at my local college.I have a Cert Ed and NVQ level 3 qualifications.I am looking for a sponser and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.Thank you.

I don't want to sound negative but I wouldn't recommend holding out for a sponsor regardless of your occupation unless you're current employer can offer you a transfer to a branch in Oz (which unfortunately is unlikely in hairdressing). I think you're better off making your own arrangements for securing your visa and then just go for it.

We got our visas in april and I've found that although the job market looks ok, on the whole employers and agencies aren't that interested unless you are already resident in Oz with your visa. There will be exceptions of course.

I'm a project engineer in the pharmaceutical industry but recruiters keep asking me "when are you planning to be here ?". If you reply, "when i get a job offer", they don't want to know. So as soon as we sell our house, I'm putting my notice in at work (12 weeks... aargh !) and booking the flights. If i don't get a job in those 12 weeks, I'm quite confident my wife will get fixed up with a hairdressing job within a couple of weeks over there which will keep us going while I market myself for jobs.

I hope you get sorted one way or the other - hairdressing looks to be a well paid job down under and as they say....fair dinkum !