working holiday in oz

Guest farmersnowy

Guest farmersnowy

Hello everyone,

im new to this forum and have a few questions about working holidays!

Im going out in april on a working holiday, im abit confused because on the embassy website it says you need a minimum of $5000, which is alot of ££, but ive seen alot of people and websites saying you need £2000!which is abviously alot less than $5000! Which is it??

Also does anyone know a good place to get insurence from for a year, prefferably with sports cover, but any suggestions at all!

Also setting up a bank account from the uk? I have friends who live in oz and have said i can get things sent to there address but what is the best bank etc at the moment?

Any other info that you think i would find handy greatly appriciated.

Ed

Its $5k - I imagine the £2K figure is how much people who are landing and going straight into jobs reckon you can get away with in terms of living, but immi will want you to prove you have access to $5K.

IMHO if you don't go over with that much, or access to it, you're a bit of a numpty - Australia is not cheap (especially with the exchange rate), it might not be that easy to get work, and the last thing you want to be is homeless, hungry and thousands of miles from home. That's besides the point though - if you don't have access to those funds and you get stopped by immi (random people do) you may well be put on a plane straight back.

How much money you need depends on a number of things - where, when, and how you are going are the main things, along with what kind of person are you? If you think that a bed in a dorm is going to be on average $30 a night (less in some places, more in others, and depending on the time of year), that's nearly $1K a month just there. Then there is food, drink, internet and phone, and any luxuries, like thrill stuff, you want to do on top. Not to mention transport. So if you know in your heart you are not the sort of person who is going to get off the plane and find a job - any job - within 5 days, but rather you want to enjoy yourself a bit first, kick back, get over jet lag and have a bit of a holiday (which obviously there is nothing wrong with at all), you will need to ensure you have funds for that. We are in desperate need of a holiday, so are not planning on working for several months - therefore we are taking enough money to last us all that time, on top of the vehicle we're buying for $15K, which apart from diesel costs mean we should be ok for transport :).

But its not 100% on attitude, so having the funds to support yourself is pretty important - there are many many people who run out of money faster than they think and come home, which is a shame - with better planning, or better luck for some, some of them could have had a much longer happier time over there.

Its easy to set up a bank account in the UK, you don't need an Aussie address, just go online to your prefered bank. We are with NAB and have found them very easy so far, but have yet to use them in Oz yet, so who knows - if you read the online bumpf you can find out which will be best for your specific circumstances - be aware that bank accounts in oz tend to charge, there isn't the free banking like in the UK as standard. We've got free banking for a year as we are PR migrants, so there are offers there, but it depends on your status as to what they will offer I guess.

Guest farmersnowy

Thanks for the help, one more question tho, if you do get stopped by immigration how do you prove you have the funds??do they just check your card or do you need a recent bankstatement or what?!?!

Thanks for the help, one more question tho, if you do get stopped by immigration how do you prove you have the funds??do they just check your card or do you need a recent bankstatement or what?!?!

I heard you need bank statements and prove that it's your account or that you have access to it. It's exactly 3,388.84 GBP according to XE.com.

• 1 month later...
Guest farmersnowy

Thanks for the advise! does anyone know if its ok to show a couple of statements to prove you have the funds?ive got most of it in one account but count i take a creditcard statement aswel to get me over the 5k mark??

cheers

yep, just take recent statements - but make sure they are originals, not printed out from internet, just to be doubly sure they will be accepted.

And once you've sorted it all out, got all your proof and done it all the right way, you can be sure you won't be the one being checked, as is the law of s*d lol

Guest se123

i went to Australia in 2005 on a working holiday visa.. the exchange rate was a lot better then ($2.4 for every £1 i think) but I only took £1000 and lasted fine. I had a week in a hostel booked, then stayed with family friends for 3 weeks before getting my own place. Started working about 6 weeks after arriving so it lasted me that long. I guess I did save some $$ by staying with friends but also remember going out A LOT whilst there. It might be very different now but I just lived like the broke person I was and survived! So thats $2400 for probably 2 months which as I re read what I'm writing actually sounds a lot...?

Archived