Traditional Wooden Boat Builder looking for employer sponsorship - any advice pls?

Lizaberrie

Hi. I'm writing on behalf of my hubby. To be quite frank, this is something we really should've done years ago, but unfortunately we can't change the situation we are in. My other half is 49 (50 in Sept) and is desperate to emigrate. He is a time-served traditional wooden boat builder with more than 30 years trade experience and wants to opportunity to impart his skills on to others. Sponsorship is our only hope of success, and to be quite honest, it's hard to know where to start. He is more than happy to go out for interviews, etc. but it's really hard to know what the best approach may be.

If anyone has any good advice to pass on - trade or otherwise, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance, Lizaberrie

I can't help with the migration details although I think there may be a problem with hubby's age. However I will let an expert on that subject answer you.

However there is a wooden boat building school here in Tasmania. Try contacting them as they might be able to give you some useful referrals on the trade side. This is their website:

http://www.woodenboatcentre.com/

We have the Australian Wooden Boat Festival here in Hobart every 2 years. The next one is in February 2013.

Your husband may be interested in that website too:

http://www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au/

I know some of those involved in wooden boats here have been to the Brest festival in France. If any are going this year - Andy Gamlin, the contact at the wooden boat school will probably know - you may be able to meet up with them.

Thanks for that - I think my hubby has to get an exception for his age but time is against us that's for sure. I am nearly 7 years younger and whilst I have an HND in Business and Finance and an NVQ 3 in Advice and Guidance, I don't have a skilled occupation to go with it all, hence why he really needs to be the principle applicant. We have heard of the Wooden Boat Centre and Andy Gamlin's name has been mentioned. Contacting him would be worthwhile, and if they should be going to Brest for the festival it would make good sense for a meet up - we holiday a lot in France so that would be great - I'll check out the details - you never know, there may be other influential people that may attend. Thank you for your thoughts - it all helps us to 'see the wood for the trees' so to speak!

The grapevine is very active in Tasmania and I'm sure everybody knows everybody else in the world of wooden boatbuilding in Australia so the more contacts you can make the better. I wish you luck with your project. I think it is wonderful to keep these traditional skills alive.

Vivien

Hobart

Archived