Newbie from Dorset

Guest Hayley

Guest Hayley

Hello All, thought best to introduce myself as have loads of questions to ask!

My husband and I (and dog) are are hopefully moving to melbourne, looking at going to hoppers crossing area (any info on suburb would be great)

We have had a successful TRA and have sent off for the visa, applying under a skilled visa, hubbies trade is on MODL (Welder). Already fed up of waiting. Decided to sell house already so we best get it!!

Using agent so excited each time phone rings!! :D

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Guest Missiemo

Hi Hayley

Welcome to the site, we leave the UK in just under four weeks.

Lots and lots of luck

Missiemo

Guest Hayley

Thanks, were are you heading too? How long did your visa take? We only sent it off 3 mths ago but feel like we've been waiting forever!

Guest Missiemo

Hi Hayley

We are hading to Melbourne when we first arrive, but hoping to settle somewhere in the suburbs, not sure which one yet as we are going to have a good look around when we get there.

Our Visa took 5 months and 3 weeks, so maybe you are not far from getting an answer

Have you had your med's yet have you got a CO yet, have you had your police checks done.

Take Care

Mo

x

Guest Hayley

Hi Mo

Hopefully we will hear soon, it's driving me crazy waiting!! We have gone through an agency, they have not mentioned about a case officer. Agent told us to get meds & police checks begining of June, ready for July when he thinks we should have an answer.

We are going straight to hoppers crossing as hubby has cousins there. Going to rent there when we arrive and have a good look around to decide where we want to settle. Have never been to Oz myself so not sure what hoppers is like!!

Hope all the arrangements r going ok, ur leaving date will be here in no time (lucky u)

Hayley

Guest Missiemo

Hi Hayley

We have looked at Hoppers Crossing looks quite nice.

Good Luck, keep those agents on there toes

Mo

x

Guest sean

hi ya hayley!! wow you could be us ha ha , were from dorset too,poole to be preciise, and i'm a welder going through skilled migration, have passed tra, have done dimia, just sent off police records and we've all got our medicals in the next three week's, were puting house on market in july hopefully be on our way in september, were heading to cairns in QLD,.... where about's are you in dorset then?

reguards,

sean,jackie, and boy's.

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean and Jackie, we are from Poole (corfe mullen) too!! Seem to be at the same stage as you. Have had succesful TRA. Going for medicals 1st week of June and sending off police records too. Hoping to be there for Sep/Oct!!

We are hopeully going to Melbourne.Been looking at hoppers crossing & werribee area to start then decide where to buy once we've been there for while.

Put the house on the market last week, just don't want anything holding us back when (if) we get the go ahead.

Are you using a migration agent or doing it all yourself?

Hayley

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sean

hello again hayley :D , guess what?? we're in creekmoor :shock: , ha ha small world is'nt it :lol: ! got our medicals this wed, finger's crossed :? , house going on the market end of this month all being well. jack's mum's got a holiday place in cairns,and she sent us through some photos of the place the other day just from the window of the car as she drove around, well what can i say .. :shock: wow ....well impressed!! cant wait, exited and yet nervos! but commited non the less 8) !! have not heard of hopper's crossing or werribee nice names though ha . what's it like there? is it tropical 8) ? is there much work there :roll: ? i'm busy trying to find agencey's at the mo, in the hope of finding a job before i get there. they say there crying out for welder's you would think job's would be easy to find but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack :roll: ! if you don't know where to look ha.

we used the visa bureau for our migration, very good, but a little expencive.

we wish you both all the best, speak again soon :wink: .

sean,jack ,and boy's

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean, jackie and boys how did the medical go? We have booked ours today for the 29th June. DIMIA have sent a letter to agent requesting these. Sold the house last week so we best get in now. Doubt any1 wants 2 put 2 adults and a staffie up!!

Seems to be lots of jobs for welders in the area we are looking at. The pay seems quite good too considering the house prices. It's unreal what we can get there for the price down here!!

Shouldn't be too long for you now if you have had the medicals. Seems like ur waiting forever though doesn't it?! Hopefully we are there for sep....start of the summer!!

:D

Guest sean

:D hi hayley, had med's yesterday, all ok thank goodness, the missus wasen't to worried, but for some reason i was a bit anxios , cos i smoke see :roll: anyway the doc told us we were pefectly normal :!: physicaly any how ha ha :lol: we have bloods to do next wednesday ( all of us ,boy's too) and that's it :D (nout to worry about with those..) exept aparently we might have to pay a little extra cos we have tatoo's :roll:.

putting house on market on monday,then we've got to have a car boot sale or two,then sell the car's, then all my tools, then sort some were to stay for a couple of week's till money's sorted, then buy ticket's,and finaly bugger off :shock: oh then start again down under ha ha

so much to do and so little time :lol:

i think i'll go and make another "thing's to do" list, again :P

all in all well chuffed yipppppie :D

speak again soon hayley,

sean jack and the boy's ttfn

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean, jackie & boys,

Hope all is going well. Noticed on ur last note that you are planning on selling all your tools. Hubbys friend is out in oz he is also a welder and he has advised him to take his with him as they are apparently quite expensive over there. Might be worth looking into shipping them over if you have all the welding goods. Our friend emigrated there 2 yrs ago and this is the one thing he wished he had done.

Speak soon

Hayley

:D cheer's haley,had thought about that but was'nt sure what to do :? .

do you think the cost of buying some new gear i.e mask, clamps excetra would out weigh the cost of shiping :?: :?:

:D

cheers

sean.

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean,

Will get my hubby (paul) to reply to you when he's back as he's been looking into things, getting quotes and can tell you what he's taking. He definately feels it's worth taking his stuff though.

Hayley :D

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean,

Hope all is going well. I have decided to take my tools with me as my mate from oz has said they are quite pricey over there. I am taking Generator welder, all my power tools, snap on top box full of hand tools. Ive had a quote for taking, to ship the goods with a volume of 5x5x4 is £1024 this includes us packing and collecting the goods. For them to go in a crate would cost an extra £150 for the crate. Apparentely all tools need to be spotless though for them to get through customs.

Hope this helps.

Paul

:D hi paul,

many thank's for that information, i 'll look in to taking mine,of course it all boil's down to expence at the end of the day dose'nt it :lol: it's cost us a small fortune so far ha ha :lol: .

hope you and hayley are getting on well not long till your medical's now is it :?:

reguards,

sean.

ps, i take it they have the same voltage as us down there then :?:

Guest Hayley

Hi Sean & family, As far as i'm aware they do, will just need to change the plugs when we get there (if we do)

Got xrays on monday then rest of medical on Thursday. Did you get ur's done in bmth? Where they very thorough with the medical & what did they do?

Any news on if u've been accepted yet. Feeling excited that we've got this far but still worried that we might get turned down!!

Speak soon

Paul & Hayley

:D hello there :D

had our x-ray's at nufield hospital(pool road b'mouth) £75 each :? , exelent service, a real look at how the other half live :shock: took about 40 min's in all, lovely place :!:

they fowarded our x-ray's to the med place( just past old eye hospital in westbourn)

following week went for our med's,(they had recived x-rays)

they checked all of us for......

blood, (no extra test for tattos) :!:

sight,

weight,

blood pressure,

listened to chest and heart,

poked around stomach,

breasts (wife)

asked if any ongoing treatment,(medicines)

asked about an history,ie,accidents,opporations,recuring problems.

they filled in the nessasary spaces on the form,and that was it :D £500 :cry:

they send it all off :!: ......

they then give you a reciept BUT...make sure you ask (like we did) for a full recipt detailing exactly what you had done..........for your case worker......

(our case worker needs the police check recipt and the med's recipt)

:? don't know if your's does :?:

this is the FINAL herdle once your med's are done that's it till they say the magic words...SEND US YOUR PASSPORT'S :D:D:D:D

hope this helps ease your minds :D

ps they tell you at your medicals/x-ray's if there are any problems before they send them off. :P

so chill and enjoy the last step :D

all the best

sean.

Guest thegang

Hi Hayley

I'm a newbie too - welcome to the site

It looks like alot of people from your area are making the big move!!!

Good luck with everything

Kerry

Archived