Pharmacist to be (4th year MPharm) looking to emigrate.

jdad84

Hello guys, My partner and I travelled down the east coast of Australia (cairns to sydney) for a few months in 2009 and fell in love with the place. Since then I've been progressing along with my degree and I'm half way through my 4th year. Having searched for other pharmacists on the forum I didn't find anyone in a similar position.

Basically, my partner and I (soon to be married) are looking to emigrate upon me registering as a pharmacist here in the UK (roughly 18 months time). I'm looking for advice on how to make best use of my time for applying for visas etc so once I'm qualified we can emigrate ASAP.

From my research so far I have found out that I need a letter of good standing from the GPhC (the pharmacy body here in the UK) which I can request when I register as a pharmacist, I'll have to complete a competency exam for registration in Oz and will have to undergo 200 hours of supervised work prior to being able to register.

It's all theory at the moment and there doesnt seem to be much I can do, I guess what I'm looking for is someone with real experience of making the trip to let me know what the craic is i.e. what the entire process is, how long it took etc.

Also, I've had a look at the new system for applying for a visa and it seems that to get the 65 points I would need to ace the IELTS exam, what's up with that? can't they give me a few points for being english??

I hope there's a pharmacist or two here that can give me some practical knowledge!

Thanks in advance,

Jay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jay,

I'm in the EXACT same situation! Have been trying to get as much info on these forums as possible. I don't know much about visas but with regard to the exams, I have found quite a good bit of information(the APEC website is fairly straightforward). Studyconnect.com is also very useful with some huge threads on there with people in similar situations.

To summarise AFAIK we have to do the CAOP stream B which involves the CAOP exam, apparently fairly hard, similar to our pre reg and we're allowed a copy of the APF and AMH in with us, as well as the BNF. Definitely advisable to get them well in advance and know them back to front. Apparently the real trouble with the exam was time.From, reading, most of the people having major trouble were those who haven't studied or sat exams in years, so I am hoping that will be on our side, having just sat our pre reg exams at that stage. Calculations were also very difficult.Then we have to sort out visas, head over do 152 hours practice, and then do a legislation test. After passing that I think you can register.

I was thinking of heading out on a working holiday after the CAOP and doing the 152 hours during that (although one can only work for a maximum of 6 months with any one employer during the WHV) and then come back here to sort out a few things at home, before heading out to Aus for good.

I am trying to get out there and registered asap after pre reg. Very worried they will take us off the wanted list!!

Let me know how you're getting on,

Steve

Hello Steve,

It's good to see I'm not alone.. I've managed to acquire an ebook of APF21 but no luck finding the AMH (tried ebay and amazon), do you have an idea where I could find it?

thanks for the link, I'm having a read of the study connect forums now.

Yea I found that APF21 as well! tried looking for the AMH by similar means but just couldn't find it. Even though The AMH and APF are expensive I'd say we'd be better to get the physical copies and have gone through them and tagged things etc so we can use it in our exams, but I'm sure Vanessa will have good advice on that :)

Just before you reply Vanessa, just wondering is it possible to do the 152 hours on a WHV and then register and then head back to the UK or would it be just too hard to get sponsorship to get back in?

Thanks for your replies,

Steve

Hi,

I dont want to worry you, but gonna tell you honestly what is involved and how long this all takes. It is not an easy process and it took me 18 months from start to finish to get registered here and it is an expensive process! (I was on my husband's visa, so this didnt include visa processing times).

So, the first steps are with the APC (Australian Pharmacy Council). (I dont think you can actually do anything until you have finished your pre-reg tho!) You fill out the eligibility assessment and you provide all the evidence that they ask for, and they then decide if you are either stream a or b. UK Pharmacists are nearly always stream B, which is a quicker process than stream a. So, once the APC has decided if you are stream A or B (takes about 8 weeks to process), then the next step is to do the CAOP exam. this is a multiple choice, open book exam. there is also a short question too, which wasnt too hard. the CAOP exam is like the pre-reg open book exam, but the only problem is TIME!! you dont have time to look up every answer and have to work quickly. there was only one or two calculations on the exam, so dont worry about them! The exam is held in London four times per year, but you can also do it in Australia too. It takes about 6 weeks to find out the results of the CAOP exam.

So, once you have passed the CAOP exam, the APC can issue you with a letter saying you your skills have been assessed for visa purposes (if you require this). So only at this point can you apply for a skilled migrant visa.

The next steps are with AHPRA. You have to apply for provisional registration, which then allows you to start your 152 hour placement. this placement HAS to be PAID, you cant do it voluntary! I was quite lucky in finding a placement, but i have heard of people struggling, because they have to pay you (they dont stipulate how much you have to be paid tho - i was paid $1000 for the placement). the problem i had, is that AHPRA asked for everything again that i had previously supplied to the APC (certified copies of birth certificate, degree certificate, uni transcripts, references, CV, passport, etc etc, which is such a nuisance!). I also had to submit a letter of good standing from the RPSGB again, but because the one i supplied to the APC was now over six months old, i had to apply to the RPSGB/ GPhc for a current letter of good standing, which took about 4 weeks for them to send!

So, once you have provisional registration and completed your placement, you have to do an oral exam. This was fairly easy as the law isnt much different to the uk. I had to go into AHPRA in Melbourne and the registrar and a pharmacist were present and they just asked questions and gave scenarios. you also at some point need to an Australian senior first aid certificate level 2, which is a 2 day course. Once you have done this, you can apply for general registration!! this still took them about 4 weeks to register me! only now can you practise as a Pharmacist!

As far as i am aware, you no longer need to do the IELTS as you are from the UK. I am unsure for visa purposes tho! I had to do it, but they have changed the process since! Please be aware, that they can change the processes and hoops that you have to jump through to get registered!

Previously someone mentioned a calculations exam (NFECE). you no longer need to do this, you do the oral exam instead.

I am unsure if you can do the placement on a WHV. I cant see there being a problem, but you should check with DIAC (dept of immigration).

the books that you can take into the exam are the AMH and APF. I bought them online and they shipped them to the UK for me. Expensive, but worth getting used to them for the exam. try https://shop.amh.net.au/products/books . if you have problems getting hold of it, then let me know and i can help!

Look at the APC website. they have sample questions. http://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/PDF/Stream%20B%20Handbook.pdf

Also AHPRA website: http://www.pharmacyboard.gov.au/Registration/Overseas.aspx

Hope all this helps! if you have any other questions/ queries then let me know!

Vanessa

Archived