Hip Replacement/insurance

biggaf

Hi All,

Myself and my family are coming over to Oz later in the year on a PR visa. I have a limp after coming off a motorbike 10 years ago and will eventually need a hip replacement. As I'm only young(39!)I'm just trying to think ahead, or incase something goes wrong with my leg sooner rather than later. Would Medicare be enough?

Cheers

Karl

• 1 month later...

Medicare would be enough but you would have to be placed on a waiting list and depending on the hospital it may be a reasonable time or a long time. Also you cannot pick your surgeon. If you take out health insurance which will set you back about two to three grand a year then you can elect to have the op when you like with the surgeon of your choice. However you will have to elect to have replacement surgery when taking out the policy and there is a twelve month wait before the fund will pay for you have to have it carried out. Different funds have different policies so you have to be careful. With private health you will be up for gap costs, I just had my knee replaced and have high cover health insurance but the gap fees we paid over and above was three thousand dollars. So going private may not be an option for you. The gap is between the fee medicare pays the surgeon and anesthetist and the amount they charge. In a public hospital they only get paid the medicare payment.

• 1 month later...

Archived