dot com or dot com.au?

Guest Impatient

Guest Impatient

Just trying to be uber-organised and make sure we get web-domains sorted for when we arrive. Already own the .com domain for Mrs Imps business, but do aussies prefer to use the .com.au (waving the flag!!) suffix???

Hopefully this way we can set up business straight away, have all stationary printed and shipped with our belongings. Intend to get a payg mobile sim on our validating visit and have a mobile number to work with from day one!

(Is this anal or what?)

Guest Impatient

Thanks Cal, thinking more about websites than email accounts, but it is important to get a web-based email some time before you go and get everything transferred to it - then at least everyone can find you wherever you go.

Guest dwaldron

You'll have trouble obtaining a .com.au domain without being able to show some sort of association with the name, which is usually a registered business name in the state where you operate or a registered company name. I'd stick with the .com for your stationery if you want to take it with you and next time you get printing done get the .com.au on there. What do you plan on printing on the stationery for your address?

But why not just get the stationery done when you arrive, crowds like Snap Printing Snap Printing; The leading business print & design group - Home Page can turn around printing in 1-2 days, just bring your artwork with you.

And you can get PAYG SIMs before you leave the UK - I bought mine from: osCommerce

Guest Impatient

Great tip, will get a sim before we go, easy peasy! Not too worried about address, we don't use one now, just the interweb with links to area we are prepared to work and mobile, works well for Mrs Imp.

Don't see the point of .com.au if we have the .com...

Ta very much.

Guest dwaldron

Don't forget though, if you are carrying on business in anything other than your own name then are required to register that business name in whatever state you are trading. It is not very expensive and you can do it yourself easily, usually at the Dept of Fair Trading or Dept of Consumer Affairs.

Hi !

I Have Just Been Reading Your Message , When U Say A Web Based Email Do U Mean Somthing Like Hotmail , I Am In Uk On Hotmail, Moving To Perth Soon !!!!!!!

Do I Need To Do Anything With My Email Address / Account ???

Have U Got Your Visa ??

From Tomo

Guest Impatient

Tomo

if you have a hotmail account, you don't need to do anything, you will be able to log on anywhere in the world. Problem is only for email addresses that are tied to providers (such as virgin, bt, tiscali, etc) that you can't take with you and you suddenly lose all those emails/addresses etc that you need.

I will be getting a new hotmail account shortly and starting to redirect everything to that one well in advance of moving. Ideally there will be no emails going to my existing account before I move (not for a long time and no visa for a while yet...).

Archived