Cancer and migration

Guest Angel23

Guest Angel23

Hi,

We have just submitted a partner application to migrate to Oz. My partner has just found out that she has a lump on her thyroid and the biopsy is a week away so we are unsure what the doctors will find. Just wondering if this is cancer if it will mean the visa will be denied as we have been asked to book the medicals for her.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks for any advice/information in advance!

Guest AKA63029
Hi,

We have just submitted a partner application to migrate to Oz. My partner has just found out that she has a lump on her thyroid and the biopsy is a week away so we are unsure what the doctors will find. Just wondering if this is cancer if it will mean the visa will be denied as we have been asked to book the medicals for her.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks for any advice/information in advance!

Hi Angel.

Firstly though bloody difficult I imagine try not to preempt what 'may' be, with good fortune it will be nothing more than a lump and easily taken care of, I know it is a worrying time but fingers crossed for you.

I am no expert on the big C and the meds matey, but I have known many who have had this and still got through. There will be others in a far better position to comment, and would imagine they will be of far better use to you than I ever could.

You WILL get a lot of help in this matter from fellow posters, and like I said, try not to preempt any possible implications.

Cheers Tony.

Hi, I had thyroid cancer in my early 20s. It was very scary, but 15 years on I have a normal prognosis and just take thyroxine every day, as my thyroid gland was surgically removed. Worst case, I would also have had to take radioactive iodine, but never had to :o)

Hopefully the lump is harmless anyway - this is quite common! Even if surgery is required, things have advanced since I had my ops and it's far less invasive now = faster recovery.

I'm afraid I don't know about the cancer & visa implications, but I think in terms of the medical the big concern is contagious diseases like TB. I've read of people migrating with chronic conditions no problem. I should probably say I'm in Australia as a dependant on a 457 visa and didn't have any kind of medical.

Good luck with everything!

Just wait for the diagnosis. The thyroid gland is often full of benign lumps , but in a worst case scenario if it is malignant once removed that is it - its out and they would monitor for a while and hopefully give you the all clear.

Someone I know who had a massive aortic aneurysm once he had it surgically fixed they took the attitude that it was fixed and that the problem was sorted!

Good luck

Archived