Pre existing Medical conditions Health insurance in Australia

annagilda

So,

I've been on these boards for several months and love all the people and the information here.

One question that I could still use a hand with is Health insurance in Australia for people with Pre Existing Medical conditions.

I'm wondering if people have any good information, maybe we could compile a list of companies/information that could help out other people who are also looking for this info? I know there are people on these boards who are in the process of emigrating who have various different conditions and I just think a place with different companies to check out might save a little time and stress.

I'm not after going into detail about each others private business, but a little about my situation.

I'm planning on coming out to Oz after Uni. I will be coming out on a WHV and will use my regular UK based travel insurer for the 2 years I am on the WHV.

I hope to gain sponsorship while out on the WHV and will then need to obviously find insurance for myself, from an Australian company.

I'd quite like to start trying to find out ball park figures, because I am a little bit worried about costs, and would like to find out whether or not I'll ever be able to afford it.

Anyway, I'll start doing a bit of research, but if anyone else has some general info or links they can post here to help everyone out, that would be fantastic!

Thanks lovelies!

Anna.

Private health insurers usually will not cover for pre-existing conditions until the policy has been held for 12 months. For pregnancy need to be insured well before deciding to have a baby if using the private system.

If you google private health there are a few sites that give you comparisons of different companies.

It does not come cheap and if it does then the cover is not so good. Also there are a lot of other extra payments that need to be paid as well as doctors tend to load their fees in private health.

Private health only covers nursing care, theatres etc in a hospital. All medical is covered by medicare and there is a set fee for everything. However when attending a private hospital the medicare fee for a procecure may be say a thousand dollars but the doc may charge fifteen hundred and you have to come up with the rest of the money.

I go to hospital tomorrow and the money that I have to pay over and above is three thousand dollars and I am in a high table with private health .

Archived