Can't find the post on driving licences

sarahbrown

Hi Again

I read a really interesting post yesterday about apply for an australian driving licences in Victoria and was trying to explain it to my hubby. Couldn't remember where i found it ( said i wasn't great at this forum thing) This post was about is it vic- roads and you can get one if you make an appointment etc.

Can you please help me find it again

Thank you in advance

I'm very embarresed to have to ask :notworthy:

Guest Guest31881

basically (because I cannot find the thread either) You have to get an Australian license if you are on a permanent visa, temporary visa holder do not have to. Some states now allow 6 months to get license others say 3 months.

Things you need to take.

UK license

Passport

Proof of address

Money

The application form if you can get it off the net.

A UK driving car / motorbike License will get you an Australian car / motorbike license

Cannot straight exchange for HGV license

Your UK licence is returned to you, in theory you are not exchanging licenses you are applying for Australian license because you passed test in UK.

Hope that helps

basically (because I cannot find the thread either) You have to get an Australian license if you are on a permanent visa, temporary visa holder do not have to. Some states now allow 6 months to get license others say 3 months.

Things you need to take.

UK license

Passport

Proof of address

Money

The application form if you can get it off the net.

A UK driving car / motorbike License will get you an Australian car / motorbike license

Cannot straight exchange for HGV license

Your UK licence is returned to you, in theory you are not exchanging licenses you are applying for Australian license because you passed test in UK.

Hope that helps

Is it the same for all states?

Guest Guest31881
Is it the same for all states?

It does not alter much in any state. in QLD i had to take what I listed above plus a Medicare card. always pays to give them a ring and check, or look it up on internet, especially as they like to move the goal posts. :wink:

Some may ask for an eye test in the traffic office when you apply.

It does not alter much in any state. in QLD i had to take what I listed above plus a Medicare card. always pays to give them a ring and check, or look it up on internet, especially as they like to move the goal posts. :wink:

Some may ask for an eye test in the traffic office when you apply.

As long as I do not have to rewrite the test considering that I passed my test in Africa!!

Guest Guest31881

It will depend on what license you have, if you have swapped your original license for a UK licence then no problems, if you are still using a "South African" ( I presumed SA) then it is not on the list of approved countries and you could have problems.

Here is the link to the QLD site.... http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Visitors-and-new-residents/International-drivers/Getting-a-Queensland-licence-for-overseas-licence-holders.aspx

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Again

I read a really interesting post yesterday about apply for an australian driving licences in Victoria and was trying to explain it to my hubby. Couldn't remember where i found it ( said i wasn't great at this forum thing) This post was about is it vic- roads and you can get one if you make an appointment etc.

Can you please help me find it again

Thank you in advance

I'm very embarresed to have to ask :notworthy:

Damn I posted on that thread yesterday and can't find it, posts and threads are moving quite fast at the minute and it's hard to catch up.

Basically if you have a full UK license you need to make an appointment to go and change it over, call VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am - 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am - 2.00pm).

Make sure you have the correct evidence of identity some can be very strict with this, if you don't have all the info look in to providing a stat dec.

Here is the list of evidence of identity

How many identity documents do I need?

The most you will need to provide for any application is:

one primary evidence document (e.g. Full Australian Birth Certificate, [Extract not accepted] or passport)

one secondary evidence document (e.g. Medicare or bank card)

evidence of Victorian residence (if your address is not shown on the primary or secondary documents)

evidence of change of name (if your name is different on the primary and secondary documents).

Important:

The name on your primary and secondary proof documents must be the same or else you must provide evidence of change of name as described above.

Your signature must appear on one of these documents.

Accepted identity documents

Identity documents must be original. Copies are not accepted. Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

Primary evidence documents

One of the following documents must be current or expired by no more than two years:

your Australian photo licence or permit

your Australian passport

your overseas passport

a document of identity issued by the Passport Office (usually issued to travellers to Norfolk Island)

Australian police force officer or Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff)

Consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Australian birth certificate or change of name registration issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. (Note: Birth extracts and Commemorative birth certificates are not accepted)

Australian naturalisation or citizenship document, or a Document for Travel to Australia or a Visa Evidence Card issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship or the Passport Office

NSW Photo Card (issued by NSW RTA after 14 December 2005).

OR

Current photo image held by VicRoads

Notes

1. A photo licence means any Australian photo driver licence or photo learner permit which is current or expired by no more than two years, or Victorian Boat Operator licence or Victorian Firearm licence which is current or expired no more than two years.

2. An overseas passport that has expired by up to two years is acceptable if the holder can provide appropriate Australian documentation giving strong evidence of permanent residence (e.g. permanent residence visa)

3. For applicants under 16 years of age the document (if issued prior to July 2004) may be in the name of a parent or legal guardian provided that the applicant is also listed on the document. The parent's licence is sighted and the number recorded. If the parent does not hold a licence, a statutory declaration must be provided. Post July 2004, all applicants are issued with individual citizenship documents.

Applicants presenting with an 'E' Visa issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship are also accepted as long as VicRoads can verify its authenticity. If you require further information regarding the 'E' visa authentication process, visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

4. A current photo image is the most recent photograph stored by VicRoads.

Secondary evidence documents

One of these documents:

Medicare card

Pensioner Concession card

Department of Veteran's Affairs card

current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth

student identity card

credit card or account card from a bank, building society or credit union

state or federal government employee photo ID card.

OR

One of these documents that is current or no more than one year old:

passbook or bank account statement

telephone, gas or electricity bill.

OR

One of these documents that is current or no more than two years old:

electoral enrolment card

armed services discharge papers

current Proof of Age card issued by Consumer Affairs Victoria

current Victorian Driving Authority photo identity card

water rates

council rates

land evaluation notice.

Evidence of Victorian residence

You will need one of the following documents if your Victorian residential address is not shown or is different on your primary or secondary evidence documents:

contract of sale, lease, or rental document that shows your current address

current renewal notice for a driver licence or vehicle registration

Australian Taxation Office Assessment (last or current financial year).

If you still cannot establish evidence of your Victorian residence, you must provide a referee statement which must:

be signed by a Victorian learner permit or driver licence holder who has known you for 12 months or more, and

includes your name and address, and

the referee's name and address

The referee must also satisfy all normal Evidence of Identity requirements.

Evidence of change of name

You will need one of the following documents if your name is different on the primary and secondary evidence documents:

marriage certificate issued by a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia

divorce papers (showing the name being reverted to)

deed Poll (issued before November 1986 in Victoria)

change of Name Certificate (issued after November 1986 in Victoria).

Before you go print out the following form and complete http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/57853E2F-A213-45B2-9D07-5354D3B7DFB4/0/Licenceapplicationformforweb1011.pdf

Now you use to walk away with the license the same day but I'm now informed that with the new licenses they are out sourced so should get posted to you.

Hope this helps.

Archived