Passport Damaged, Visa in Process

hmsmark

So..., our (my wife and myself) passports were damaged yesterday by water. We were using them as ID for a financial transaction, and my wife's purse fell into a fountain... from four stories up. It took some time to get down to the fountain and fish out the purse, which held both passports, and they are badly damaged.

We are American and will have to have them replaced. It will take about 6 weeks to get new ones. I expect to have a CO in a few weeks, going by the thread tracking type 175 applications, and (hopefully) to have my visa granted fairly soon after that. My question is: since everything goes on the passport number of the primary applicant (me), and I will be getting a new passport number, should I wait until everything has been processed and my visa granted? Or, should I just go ahead and get the new passport now? How do I update DIAC with my new passport number (and expiry dates of the passport, etc.) once I have it in hand?

Guest GoldCoastMag

OH ordered a new USA passport while his application was pending, we informed the CO and then sent a copy of the page so the electronic visa could be applied to the new number.

There is an expedite option for passports too.

good luck

Archived