Brickies

PIPMOSS

Hi my name is Phil and I'm moving to Brisbane area next March and was wondering if anyother brickies who are there already could help me. Did you send tools from back home or did you buy new in oz? You need a cscs card in uk for trade do you need an equivellent in oz and how do you go about it if you do? Are the wages any good and the hours you work ? be a great help if you can answer these questions so I know what to expect when I get there.

Phil:wacko:

Guest traybears

HI PHIL,MY OH IS A PAINTER AND DECORATOR AND WE WERE KEEN TO KNOW ABOUT WAGES SO WE EMAILED A FEW PAINTING COMPANYS IN BRISBANE OR WHERE EVER YOUR GOING,TO ASK ABOUT THE WAGES AND THEY EMAILED US BACK,SOME SAYING TO LOOK THEM UP WHEN HE ARRIVES.IF YOU GO TO WWW.YELLOWPAGES.COM.AU/ AND JUST FILL IN YOUR REQUIREMENTS.GOOD LUCK.TRACY.

Guest Brianjoray

hi phil just to let you know alot of states require a card which is like a cscs in WA its called a blue card and you can do an assesment on line .also all the answers are there for you and you complete each section then get a certificate to print out at home. then you pay a fee and get the card. I should imagine that most states run a similar scheme .as for tools I,m going to take some with me and leave the rest (just taking the good stuff)you can get all you need out there .It might also be an idea to check out if you are going to need an ABN (australian business number)for perth ive used bluedogtraining.com.au for the card but theres probably links to other centers.

I have been told that the hours in perth area are 6.30-2.30 and 6.30-12.30 friday money about $300/day more on price. good luck and hope this helps

brian

Hi my name is Phil and I'm moving to Brisbane area next March and was wondering if anyother brickies who are there already could help me. Did you send tools from back home or did you buy new in oz? You need a cscs card in uk for trade do you need an equivellent in oz and how do you go about it if you do? Are the wages any good and the hours you work ? be a great help if you can answer these questions so I know what to expect when I get there.

Phil:wacko:

Cash Converters is a good place to pick up tools and equipment. It's a national chain pawn shop................ I seem to think they were planning to branch out in the UK so you may already be conversant with them over there?

Anyway................... it's possible to pick up some good gear very cheaply.............. looks like some of it has been knocked off from building sites which is a pity............. we do have low life here unfortunately who will nick anything............... they never heard of the golden rule on building sites......ie you should never knock a bloke's tools off as you are depriving him of his livelihood?

Other than Cash Converters............. we have massive all day job Swapmeets (car boot sales) only on a bigger scale. it's amazing what you can pick up at same re tools and equipment going for a song.

I brought all my tools here but in hind sight I would have brought my trowel, on my first job here I had to take 2 days off after the first week because of tenenitis in the wrist due to having a trowel the size of a shovel. There is a good tool shop in Moss street, Springwood that supplies all good brickies tools (including footprint pins). Some extra items you may need here are line clamps. z303425a.jpg these are used to clamp the line to the H blocks and are quite handy. Another item which is useful is a clamp that fits around the reveils od the steel doors that holds the line in so you can use the door like a profile.

Wages are between 35 and 40 ph in Brissie , price work is better but you need a BSA licence to set up a company to take the work on.

Archived