mining CV

jen16

Hi All,

There has been lots of threads on here recently re mining so if this is a repeat apologies..Anyway I was wondering where to send my husbands CV to, is it the companies eg BHP, Rio Tinto etc or recruitment agencies? Also are companies still sponsoring or is there a down turn there too? Looking at WA as he has 11 years experience on open cut quarry (Iron Ore) so there seems to more of this kind in WA compared to QLD where there seems to be more UG Coal which he has no experience in..

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated

Hi Jen

There is still definitely a skill shortage when it comes to the mining industry in WA so employers will still sponsor people coming over (just nearing the end of the process myself and should find out tomorrow). I got my current job through a recruiter and spoke to others so i would probably go through those (it is generally best just to use one as you might end up with multiple applications at the same place which doesn't look good). I suppose one of the main ones is mining people international although i didn't use them myself so can't say what they are like.

Just one thing to note is that the mining industry is heavily regulated (a lot more than the uk) with procedures and regs to cover everything so no matter how much experience your other half has he might have to go through a lot of basic training and such depending on who he gets a job with.

Hi Jen

There is still definitely a skill shortage when it comes to the mining industry in WA so employers will still sponsor people coming over (just nearing the end of the process myself and should find out tomorrow). I got my current job through a recruiter and spoke to others so i would probably go through those (it is generally best just to use one as you might end up with multiple applications at the same place which doesn't look good). I suppose one of the main ones is mining people international although i didn't use them myself so can't say what they are like.

Just one thing to note is that the mining industry is heavily regulated (a lot more than the uk) with procedures and regs to cover everything so no matter how much experience your other half has he might have to go through a lot of basic training and such depending on who he gets a job with.

Thanks, great info. Good luck tomorrow! the company he is currently with is an international company so they have a very high standard of Health and Safety etc, whether this is in line with Australia I dont know (paper cut=incident report, full investigation etc:wink:OH is more than happy to do training courses to get him in the door and trained to Aus standards..Things are looking dim in the job he is in at the moment no pay rise again this year although the company is producing record tonnages! I will have a look at mining people international. thanks again

Thanks, great info. Good luck tomorrow! the company he is currently with is an international company so they have a very high standard of Health and Safety etc, whether this is in line with Australia I dont know (paper cut=incident report, full investigation etc:wink:OH is more than happy to do training courses to get him in the door and trained to Aus standards..Things are looking dim in the job he is in at the moment no pay rise again this year although the company is producing record tonnages! I will have a look at mining people international. thanks again

Yep it is like that here and probably a bit more. I heard that if you go into the Rio Tinto offices in Perth you have to do an online induction before you are allowed in and that is not even near a mine site. A mate of mine started work for them and did a whole week of inductions for his site whilst it is good and i am all for it sometimes it does get a bit OTT due to the people in the H&S departments not having any mining experience at all so they think they know all about it. Luckily where i work they probably have the right balance and in any case it is underground so you can't see round the next corner :wink:

Guest Jadeanna

Hi Jen,

Myself and my husband recently moved to WA from Ireland. My husband is now working as a recruitment consultant in the mining industry.

If you want to PM me I can give you my husbands work email address or you could send me his CV and maybe he can give you some advise?

What you do very much depends on what job you're after. It is absolutely no good sending CVs to the large mining companies if they aren't advertising as the address given doesn't go to Rio, BHP etc - it goes to a screening agency who winnow out the best and then forward to the company for consideration, but only when they're advertising. Otherwise it just gets binned.

Professional occupations may have somewhere to register interest and upload a CV, but operators and unskilled positions generally won't, you just keep having to look out for them.

I have a very bleak view of recruiting agencies, going off what some mining companies have told me they very rarely accept applications from that route unless it's a particular hard-to-fill position; they have their own HR department and don't particularly want to pay 18% to an agency. Allied companies such as contract miners and consultancies may be more receptive. In the few occasions I've made enquiries about jobs which go along the lines of "top tier miner requires XYZ immediately" I've queried with them whether the job actually exists. One assured me it did with a particular mining company, so I talked to the manager of the office where it ostensibly was, and he had never heard of it.

Ultimately, most positions will be on their website, so take the promises with a pinch of salt - have a look at Seek and it's abundently clear which jobs are with BHP etc as their logo appears. Vague "position in the Goldfields" from an agency means nothing.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong from people who have had success getting into big mining companies with agencies.

When my OH applied as a fitter to Rio Tinto they didn't actually want a CV; he had to do an online questionnaire, so depending on his position they might not require one in the first place, but as a geologist I had to submit one directly to them.

It's much easier to get into the contract miners like Downers, John Holland, Leightons, MacMahon etc, and I know guys who have successfully sent off speculative CVs to them.

Guest Jadeanna

Sorry to hear your OH had a bad experience with recruitment agencies. I'm no expert myself but from speaking to my husband about how his work day goes, he is recruiting 20 temps per month and he works on a team of 5 or 6 (Can't remember for sure) and they each have the same targets. His section was dump truck drivers and dozer drivers and he's now recruiting for the quarry??? Sorry I'm no expert just going off memory here. He's in Syndey right now so I can't ask him for the correct info LOL... They are 3 hours ahead of WA.

I'm not saying he can get everyone a job, but if anyone want's to pass on their CV or ask him a question he'll be willing to help, pass on your CV or offer any information he can.

We know what it's like coming out here not knowing for sure what the work situation is.

Yeah seek is good alright, but believe me there are more recruitment agencies posting on seek then employers.

The Company I work for alway's use agencies and we have our own HR department. I think a lot of Companies in every industry out here will use recruitment agencies. It's in there recruitment budget for the year.

Here are his details, contact him if you want. And if you don't want to then don't.

Paul Duffy

Recruitment Consultant

Recruiting experts in Resources & Mining

paul.duffy@hays.com.au

+61 (0) 8 9226 5766

He is in Sydney till Monday, so won't get back to anyone this week.

What you do very much depends on what job you're after. It is absolutely no good sending CVs to the large mining companies if they aren't advertising as the address given doesn't go to Rio, BHP etc - it goes to a screening agency who winnow out the best and then forward to the company for consideration, but only when they're advertising. Otherwise it just gets binned.

Professional occupations may have somewhere to register interest and upload a CV, but operators and unskilled positions generally won't, you just keep having to look out for them.

I have a very bleak view of recruiting agencies, going off what some mining companies have told me they very rarely accept applications from that route unless it's a particular hard-to-fill position; they have their own HR department and don't particularly want to pay 18% to an agency. Allied companies such as contract miners and consultancies may be more receptive. In the few occasions I've made enquiries about jobs which go along the lines of "top tier miner requires XYZ immediately" I've queried with them whether the job actually exists. One assured me it did with a particular mining company, so I talked to the manager of the office where it ostensibly was, and he had never heard of it.

Ultimately, most positions will be on their website, so take the promises with a pinch of salt - have a look at Seek and it's abundently clear which jobs are with BHP etc as their logo appears. Vague "position in the Goldfields" from an agency means nothing.

I'd genuinely love to be proved wrong from people who have had success getting into big mining companies with agencies.

When my OH applied as a fitter to Rio Tinto they didn't actually want a CV; he had to do an online questionnaire, so depending on his position they might not require one in the first place, but as a geologist I had to submit one directly to them.

It's much easier to get into the contract miners like Downers, John Holland, Leightons, MacMahon etc, and I know guys who have successfully sent off speculative CVs to them.

Thanks Eera, good info. As it turns out recruitment agencies dont offer sponsored jobs it is through the compnay itself which I didnt know.. We have CV on Rio Tinto etc but will definately send CVs to the above companies also. I dont know if we are wasting our time looking to get sponsored or if we should just start the independant visa route instead it just takes longer.. OH is a deputy shift supervisor at the moment on an open cut hard rock quarry. There seems to be lots of jobs out there that he is qualified for but its catch 22, cant apply as have no visa and cant get a visa without a sponsor! Are there sponsored positions in Qld or is it for skilled workers only (eg engineers, fitters, etc)?thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i am a plant operator [all rounder]got my blue card, also a plant fitter city & guilds level 3 advanced. Worked in opencast coal,coal washes,construction for 25 years, the last ten years worked for Tarmac & Aggregate Industries in sand & gravel quarry's and rock quarrys.which are on the ball with health & safety.

I submited a cv to BHP, & RIO TINTO for operator jobs, had no luck, but had interest from recruiter's for plant fitter jobs, all the best, head's up a :em4600:

Jen, when you say deputy shift supervisor what do you mean? What's his actual field? In QLD (can't speak for the other states) there are loads of statuatory regs for mine senior management that he won't have exposure to - basically a mine manager from overseas will have a hell of a time trying to come into a similar position in Oz simply because there is a lack of familiarity with the various Acts and Regulations and none of the competancies are in place.

I can't tell if he's in that league or not, but he may have a bit more luck with a more junior role working upwards (mines generally cry out for people to take on supervisory roles; loads more responsability for very little more money, so comparatively few people want to go there, but there will be an expectation that he'll be familiar with his role under Aus legislation, so you may find there's a barrier there initially).

In my experience mines will sponsor skilled and professional people - if they are advertising the the UK press they will sponsor, if not then it's pot luck, but for unskilled jobs there are many people here queing up for so they won't bother. However, I don't know if your OH would be regarded as one of those as I don't really know what the equivalent position here would be.