container dilemmma!

Nod to Oz

Hi all!!

Looking at heading out in January and been offered some space in a container going to Brisbane.. only problem is Im gonna be located in Sydney!!

Now first thoughts were get the gear there and then hire a van and go do road trip to collect... however 1 way costs for transit sized van in the 2/3 quotes Ive had so far are around $1500! bit more than i was expecting!!

So should I save my dough and just get a part container to Sydney? anyone any experience of this?

Also with the shipping been reading about the temperature differences, thinking of sending a fair few books... any advice on this? would be gutted if they arrive mouldy!!

Cheers for any advice..

Michael

Guest oldmarried

Temperature differences are only really a consideration for antique furniture. If your current home is damp then your books might be damp and so more suceptible to mould in transit. The increasing warmth in the container draws the water to the surface of items. The bacteria which are inherent on goods (sorry, no matter how clean you are its true!) just need warmth and water to grow so mould sets in. If your stuff is dry then you won't have an issue with your books. If they are very valuable and so are seriously concerned ask your mover to chuck in a sachet of silica gel into the box to absorb any dampness.

Antique wood furniture is a problem because as the container warms up the moisture inherent in the wood dries out and the wood shrinks, this causes the joints on the furniture to weaken and as it gets rattled about on the high seas makes the furniture more at risk of damage, particularly as it is no longer strong anything loaded over it will be a much greater burden.