Can anyone help!!!!

The Stewarts

Hi everyone

Hope somebody out there can help!!

My hubby works in Angola on a 4 week rota and has just found out that he can keep his job with the oil co. he works for at the moment and can actually have his home base anywhere he wants, so the OZ dream looks to be happening a lot sooner than we thought. The only thing is which is the best/quickest way to go about getting into OZ??? Has anyone been in the same position and if so how did they go about moving to OZ, any info will be very greatfully appreciated as we are planing to get the ball rolling when he gets home in November.

P.S. Great site - very additive

Lorna

:wubclub:

Hi everyone

Hope somebody out there can help!!

My hubby works in Angola on a 4 week rota and has just found out that he can keep his job with the oil co. he works for at the moment and can actually have his home base anywhere he wants, so the OZ dream looks to be happening a lot sooner than we thought. The only thing is which is the best/quickest way to go about getting into OZ??? Has anyone been in the same position and if so how did they go about moving to OZ, any info will be very greatfully appreciated as we are planing to get the ball rolling when he gets home in November.

P.S. Great site - very additive

Lorna

:wubclub:

It's a mighty long haul from Angola to Oz.......... traveling time alone will take up a fair whack of his R & R?

Once you get here he may want to pick up work more local. They do 4 weeks on 4 weeks off based from Perth or the eastern seaboard. Lots of offshore work up round the South China Sea........... up in the Timor Sea.............. and both areas are only a hop....skip......and a jump away from this land down-under.

I used to work the rigs doing 4 weeks on 4 weeks off from Singapore which was a good gig......... relatively short flight back here. Plenty of local work too where they do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.............. Barrow Island is a good base. Couple of hours flight from Perth........ then a couple of hours flight max by chopper to the rigs in the Timor Sea. Avoid Bass Strait at all times........... definitely not for the feint hearted.............. but....... if hubby is a north sea tiger................ Bass Strait should be a piece of cake to him.

Hi Bobcat

Thanks for that info, will pass it on to hubby.

He is aware of the travel time as one of his fellow workmates in Angola is from/lives in Brisbane and travels on the same 4 week rota and he has spoken to him about flights etc. He has always had to travel long distances with his job and he just sees it as part of it, and he dosnt seem to mind the travell. But I can see its not for everyone.

Cheers

Lorna

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SCOTSNAUSSIE

Hi Lorna

I see your online just now, think we may have some things in common. My OH and I livied in Angola for a year and prior to that Scotland, we now live in Qld. My OH is an aussie so moving here was pretty straight forward for us. He now works for a company in Western Australia and works out of Australia. My hubby was always used to travelling also but eventually got for sick of that as it was taking hm at least three days to get home, now only one day which is so much easier. I would like to catch up, we have been here three years this Christmas and settled well. I am sure your hubby would be able to get a job here in Australia, I know we were happy to get out of Angola. Hope to hear back from you.

Good Luck

Kirsteen

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lorna

A friend of mine now has his visas for Oz. He works in Algeria (dismantling a derelict gas-field or something, it sounds like. If he gets it wrong, an entire town called Arzew will go "woof" I am told.) ) They are planning to move to NSW/QLD and he is also planning to do FIFO from there.

He has been investigating the logistics involved.

If you would like me to ask him to make direct contact with you and OH, please PM me with your e-mail address.

I reckon that Bobcat is right and that a lot of these plans probably change once the couple start living in Oz. It is a HECK of a trek from Algeria to Brissie or Sydney as far as I can see from a vague look at the flight schedules.

Cheers

Gill

I spoke to my friend and she reckons at the minute there is not much differance in travelling from Angola to Perth than it was getting back to Scotland, he travels Angola to J`burg , then on from J`burg to Perth, at the minute the stopover in SA isn`t too long but that will change in December for some reason (I think the flight times change over the Christmas period possibly). He does 3 wks on 3 off and finds it no bother.

Guest Sexy Welsh Aussie Bird

Sorry guys excuse my ignorance - where is Angola? Sounds as if it shud be off Scotland somewhere!

Sian xxx

Guest mandy1970

We are emigrating hopefully next year and my other half is a North Sea Tiger!!

I am an Oz(brought up in Fife) and he was told that even if he arrived without a job he could have one before the end of the day. He has been in touch with a few companies and agencies based in Perth (where we are going - friends and family there) to get the ball rolling. They are all confident that getting a job was no problem when he gets there.

I spoke to my friend and she reckons at the minute there is not much differance in travelling from Angola to Perth than it was getting back to Scotland, he travels Angola to J`burg , then on from J`burg to Perth, at the minute the stopover in SA isn`t too long but that will change in December for some reason (I think the flight times change over the Christmas period possibly). He does 3 wks on 3 off and finds it no bother.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me

spoke to hubby and he said the same not much in the travel be it to scotland or oz from angola. at the moment he travels aberdeen to london to j,berg to luanda to cabinda and then out to the rig. bit of a journey but it all in a days work to him!!

:yes:

Hi Lorna

A friend of mine now has his visas for Oz. He works in Algeria (dismantling a derelict gas-field or something, it sounds like. If he gets it wrong, an entire town called Arzew will go "woof" I am told.) ) They are planning to move to NSW/QLD and he is also planning to do FIFO from there.

He has been investigating the logistics involved.

If you would like me to ask him to make direct contact with you and OH, please PM me with your e-mail address.

I reckon that Bobcat is right and that a lot of these plans probably change once the couple start living in Oz. It is a HECK of a trek from Algeria to Brissie or Sydney as far as I can see from a vague look at the flight schedules.

Cheers

Gill

I feel sorry for your friend in Algeria, Gill................. i was at Gasi-Touill for a year doing a Sonatrech project.

Toss up between Algeria and Rangoon as to which is the worst place in the world..................... I hated both.:jimlad:

Hi Lorna

I see your online just now, think we may have some things in common. My OH and I livied in Angola for a year and prior to that Scotland, we now live in Qld. My OH is an aussie so moving here was pretty straight forward for us. He now works for a company in Western Australia and works out of Australia. My hubby was always used to travelling also but eventually got for sick of that as it was taking hm at least three days to get home, now only one day which is so much easier. I would like to catch up, we have been here three years this Christmas and settled well. I am sure your hubby would be able to get a job here in Australia, I know we were happy to get out of Angola. Hope to hear back from you.

Good Luck

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen

Great to hear from you. We (or should I say me) are hoping to head for Melbourne as we have some good friends who moved there about 4 years ago and love it. Hubby enjoys his job in Angola and idealy would like to keep it (99% sure he can) and travel to oz instead of scotland. We are just at the begining of our process so might have a long wait as lots of others seem to be from reading posts on this site. Where did you live in scotland, we are in lovley village in aberdeenshire. We have two gilrs aged 11 & 8 and they are so excited about moving, dont think it has quite sunk in that granny & granda wont be just hour away!! but on a good note they are both retired and are in the position they can up sticks and visit anytime. will have to go for now the kids are getting hungry and the tatties are not on yet!!

Lorna:wubclub:

Lorna

Guest SCOTSNAUSSIE
Hi Kirsteen

Great to hear from you. We (or should I say me) are hoping to head for Melbourne as we have some good friends who moved there about 4 years ago and love it. Hubby enjoys his job in Angola and idealy would like to keep it (99% sure he can) and travel to oz instead of scotland. We are just at the begining of our process so might have a long wait as lots of others seem to be from reading posts on this site. Where did you live in scotland, we are in lovley village in aberdeenshire. We have two gilrs aged 11 & 8 and they are so excited about moving, dont think it has quite sunk in that granny & granda wont be just hour away!! but on a good note they are both retired and are in the position they can up sticks and visit anytime. will have to go for now the kids are getting hungry and the tatties are not on yet!!

Lorna:wubclub:

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

Good luck with your move to Melbourne, that's great that you have friends there; as from my experience meeting new friends was really hard. If your OH is able to stay in his job that's great too. I know there is not much difference wether you travel from Scotland or Australia to Angola, my OH had just done enough travelling around Africa. We livied in Angola for a year and that was more than enough time for us, good experience but not in a hurry to return. Prior to that my OH spent time in the Congo, Malabo and Cameroon. Australian life is great and so much more pleasant!

I am sure you and your family will settle well, even with granny & granda being far away and like you say they can upsticks anytime for a visit. With the use of the internet and phone calls you don't really realise how far away you are at times. Don't get me wrong, it isn't easy all the time but it does get better.

Wish you and your family well and PM if you want, it's good to have support from each other and PIO certainly does give great advice.

Kirsteen xx :)

Guest mandy1970

Hi Ermintrude

I live in the East Neuk but was born in Perth WA and came over here with parents when I was eight. I think the Aussie is still in me as I hate the cold and still eat vegemite!!!

Archived