Working Holiday Visa

Guest gwen

Can anybody advice me,my son is going to Oz on a working holiday visa.He works part time for a building firm now labouring but has been doing this for around 3 years and has learnt alot of skills.Would he be able to do this type of work on this type of visa.Any advice would be great as he goes in two weeks,all very quick :wacko:

Guest joksand

Hi Gwen

I just put a reply on your other post.

I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems finding work here and there labouring - in my experience the aussies are always willing to give anyone not afraid of a bit of hard work a 'fair go'

If things haven't changed in the last 10yrs, the rules of the WHV state that he'll only be allowed to work for each employer for 3 months max. I think I heard that the WHV can now be extended up to 2yrs if people do work on farms, harvesting etc - I could be wrong, it's just something I read/heard somewhere. I'm sure all the info will be on the website I put in the other post.

Good luck to him!

Jo

Hi Jo,

Yes you right I been through all the visa's when we where looking at going.I dont think farm work would be his cup of tea though.But he not affraid of hard work.Not like at home LOL:jiggy:.

Just wish we could go with him.:unsure:

Guest Rachel83

Hi

I'm in Oz on a working holiday makers visa, they changed the rules a few months ago and you can now work for a company for up to 6 months, then you have to move on to another employer.

The visa is valid for a year from when you first arrive in Australia, no matter how many times you leave and return to the country. You can extend for a second year if you have done a minimum of 3 months 'rural' work, ie fruit picking in the middle of nowhere!

I'm not sure about building work, I guess it would depend on the area but I think there is a lot of that kind of work around. Going through an agency is normally a good option for working hol makers.

As a non-resident I pay 29% tax on my income so I assume he will be the same.

Hope this helps!

:)

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for that advice,so when he arrives in Oz , his year will start then ,not when his visa arrives . Also 29% tax is alot isnt it, self employed over here are only on 25% tax.

What work are you doing in Oz,are you enjoying it or do you find it hard.Sorry for all the questions,I am just a worried mum lol :wacko:and think I going mad with it all .

Thanks again Gwen

Guest Rachel83

Hi Gwen

No problem! I'm sure if my Dad had known about this site when I was coming over he would have been on asking the same sort of questions, little worry pot he is!

I assume your son's visa will be the same as mine... nothing stamped in his passport, just an electronic visa and number that is linked to his passport number. Then when he enters Australia as he goes through customs the visa will come up on their screens and be automatically activated (it's all very clever!). From that point he is allowed to stay in Australia for up to a year. He can leave the country as many times as he likes, but his time spent out of Australia will not extend the length of his visa.

Yes the tax is a lot, and I was quite surprised, but not a lot can be done about it I suppose! Your son will need to get himself a Tax File Number (TFN) as soon as possible when he arrives. He can work without it but if he does so for more than a month (I think) he will end up paying some ridiculous amount of tax like 40-50%! I'd also suggest that he gets a Medicare card as soon as possible too so he can get medication/see a doctor if he needs to.

I'm currently working through an agency called Hays doing temp admin/receptionist work. It's not the most exciting work but I have good experience in it and due to the restraints of the visa temp work is best for me. I'm loving it here, although I did come over to live with my Aussie boyfriend so I knew someone before arriving. Saying that I'm sure your son will make plenty of friends as everyone in my experience has been very welcoming and friendly. It is difficult at first but only the same as it would be to move to a new town or whatever in the UK! Obviously it takes a little while to settle and find your feet.

How old is your son? Try not to worry too much I'm sure he will be fine and have the time of his life! You never know if you have the time/money you could get a holiday out of it if you want to go and visit him! My parents are coming over on Monday and staying for 3 weeks, can't wait!

Any more questions just ask, happy to help and hopefully put your mind at ease a little bit!

Rachel :wubclub:

:arghh:

Hi Gwen

No problem! I'm sure if my Dad had known about this site when I was coming over he would have been on asking the same sort of questions, little worry pot he is!

I assume your son's visa will be the same as mine... nothing stamped in his passport, just an electronic visa and number that is linked to his passport number. Then when he enters Australia as he goes through customs the visa will come up on their screens and be automatically activated (it's all very clever!). From that point he is allowed to stay in Australia for up to a year. He can leave the country as many times as he likes, but his time spent out of Australia will not extend the length of his visa.

Yes the tax is a lot, and I was quite surprised, but not a lot can be done about it I suppose! Your son will need to get himself a Tax File Number (TFN) as soon as possible when he arrives. He can work without it but if he does so for more than a month (I think) he will end up paying some ridiculous amount of tax like 40-50%! I'd also suggest that he gets a Medicare card as soon as possible too so he can get medication/see a doctor if he needs to.

I'm currently working through an agency called Hays doing temp admin/receptionist work. It's not the most exciting work but I have good experience in it and due to the restraints of the visa temp work is best for me. I'm loving it here, although I did come over to live with my Aussie boyfriend so I knew someone before arriving. Saying that I'm sure your son will make plenty of friends as everyone in my experience has been very welcoming and friendly. It is difficult at first but only the same as it would be to move to a new town or whatever in the UK! Obviously it takes a little while to settle and find your feet.

How old is your son? Try not to worry too much I'm sure he will be fine and have the time of his life! You never know if you have the time/money you could get a holiday out of it if you want to go and visit him! My parents are coming over on Monday and staying for 3 weeks, can't wait!

Any more questions just ask, happy to help and hopefully put your mind at ease a little bit!

Rachel :wubclub:

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for that,where will he get a TFN from and can I set his Medicare card up her or does it have to be in Oz and how much will that cost.

Yes his visa is the same as yours,its very clever.

I dont no whether I coming or going at the moment you not what men are like,if I dont sort him he would just go and think it one big holiday.Every time I mention something he says "Oh I did not think you had to do that"MEN,BOYS just like his farther LOL.

He is 19, he having a leaving party on Thursday,:arghh: there is going to be about 30, 19 and 20 year olds.I must be mad.

He is booking his flight tonight,he really excited at moment,have to keep trying to bring him back to earth or we won't get anything done Ha Ha.Anyway better go so we can book this flight.Speak to you soon.:)

Archived