banks

Guest gwen

:cry:Hi everyone I really sad my son is moving to oz in two weeks time 6/10/07 really quick,we was expecting him to be here for xmas,anyway less of my moaning.I am wanting to open a bank account for him to use in oz ,he also has to show he has so much in an account when entering.I dont no if to open a English account or an Oz account.Can anybody advice me on what to do and also charges.Thanks.:goofy:

Guest joksand

Hi

Don't be sad - just think of all the wonderful experiences he'll have.

Is is going on a Working Holiday Visa? - when we went with that type of visa we had to prove we had funds to support ourselves during our stay - we just showed our UK bank account statements when we applied for the visa.

Now we're going on a Permanent Residency visa, but haven't been asked to show proof of funds.

When we went on Working Holiday Visas we left all our money in out UK account, but made sure it was accessible from Oz by visa debit card from ATMs - they will charge him for this though. Then we opened accounts at Commonwealth Bank when we arrived and put anything we earned into that account.

It is possible to open an account in Australia with the Commonwealth Bank from the UK - tel. 08082348969. We've opened one so it's ready when we arrive in January.

I don't have any experience of other banks, but hope this helps

Bye for now

Jo

Guest billy braveheart

Westpac the account can be opened online from the UK he just has to activate it on arrival. Monies can also be transferred online from the uk. No charges for us just have to withdraw from a westpac atm otherwise other machines charge 2 dollars.

Hugs from one mother to another.

Janette

Thanks for the advice taken it all on board.Will more than likely need more advice,so will be back.:wacko:When you only got two weeks to sort him out,its a night mare :embarrassed:Dont no whether iI coming or going.

Hi Gwen, your sister here, who is also going on the 6th November, we have already set up a bank account, our account is through Westpak, they do have bank charge, but most Banks in Oz do, its about $5 AUS a month, this mcan be set up on line, and then you have to transfer monies over to keep the account live, but this should not be a problem if Daniel is going within the next two weeks !!!!!!!

Hi Jo,

Thanks for that,yes he is going on a holiday working visa.His girlfriend and parents are going over so of course he did not want to leave girlfrind so he decided he wanted to go.Her parents are going over on her mums visa as she is a nurse,so they won't have a permant visa.

My son Daniel looked at all the visa options and found this one to be the quickest way and cheepest.

How did you find the working holiday visa if there is any advice you can give me I would be very grateful,he was at uni in the uk and had 2 years to do,but at the moment that is on hold.

The reason I no about this sight was because we was looking at moving to oz about twelve months ago,but it was just not the right time as my other son was going in the army and we have a daughter of 15 and she has two horses and just did not want to go plus exams.And I think in 2 years time we are going to be to old as I will be 42 and my husband will be 45 then :arghh: the visa you are applying for now ,what is needed for that.Well I gone on for a bit now and probley board you stupid.Thanks for reading,hopefully speak to you soon :wub:

Hi Mel,

Thought you was near that date,its a big shock new he was going but just not this soon,Becks had a phone caal on Sat morning from her mum to say the visa's where through and they had to go within the next few weeks.

So its a nightmare at the moment.I looked at westpac,he going to be wanting to put about 3,000 into the account,I thought about him opening another Uk account as he has to show that he has more than 2,500 available in a bank at immigration.I feel like I having my heart ripped out at moment my sister, niece ,nephew and son going to Oz and other one in Army.Speak to you soon.:cry: :sad: x x

Guest joksand

Hi Gwen

When we applied for our working holiday visas (WHV) there was an Australian Consulate in manchester - I'm not sure whether it's still there. I did mine by post, but my husband (then boyfriend) went and did it over the counter with them. That's the quickest way to get it - go direct to the consulate, but as I say, I'm not sure whether there is one in Manchester anymore so it might mean a trip to London. I'm sure a lot has changed in the 10 yrs since we applied for ours. Have a look on the Australian Immigration website for more info Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Whilst we were out there we knew a lot of people who'd arrived on WHV's and decided to stay, but I don't really know what the rules are. We decided to come back and try to settle down here, but after buying a house, getting married and having 2 kids we still don't feel settled, so almost 10 yrs later we're going back!

We've got Independent Skilled Visas - my hubbie's a Mechanic, which was on the Aussies most wanted list when we applied (not sure whether that's still the case) Now's the time for us - I'm 35 and he's 38, so if we waited any longer we wouldn't get enough points, plus our kids are v.young so hopefully they'll settle easily, although it doesn't stop me worrying how everything is going to work out.

Hope things work out well for you and your family,

Jo

Thanks jo that really helps if you dont mind could I pick your brain again,or just have a moan as I am worried even though he is 19 still my baby LOL

Guest joksand
Thanks jo that really helps if you dont mind could I pick your brain again,or just have a moan as I am worried even though he is 19 still my baby LOL

Sure no probs - don't know how much help I can be though, but you're very welcome to PM me anytime, or put a post on this thread.

Can't imagine what'll I'll be like if my boys ever decide to take off to the other side of the world when they're 19!! Now I'm a Mum myself I'm finally realising the stress and worry I must've have put my Mum through when I first went off travelling, and now I'm doing it to her again, but she's supporting us and wants us to go because she knows we want to, and Australia seems to offer more opportunites for us and the boys. She's always said you've got to let your kids do what they want to do and make their own decisions, but she's always made sure I know she's there if I need her.

Right, must go to bed - hubbie thinks I'm addicted to PIO ( I think he might be right!)

Bye for now

Jo

Hi Gwen and welcome to PiO!

I am sure your son will be just fine on his working holiday visa and I quite understand your feelings. I am in the position that my daughters boyfrend of 3 yrs is coming with us when we move to Oz permanently in Jan hopefully.

He is 21 and she is 20 and both are coming on student visa (expensive option unfortunately!) as my daughter is deemed independant of us as she is working. She has been offered 2 uni places and her boyfriend has accepted a position at a TAFE (technical college). Works well for both of them as they are continuing to study what they were doing in the UK and both all being well will qualify for their own independant visas after their studies (daughter will also qualify as 'last remaining relative' sponsored by us after 2 yrs).

Have deviated a bit here but just wanted to say that in regard to my daughters boyfriend, he has been around our family long enough to be considered totally part of our family and hopefully thats the same for your son. I am acutely aware of how his mum must be feeling and have promised that he will continue to be treated like part of the family and god forbid, if their relationship goes 'belly up' then we will STILL be there to help and support him in whatever he might choose to do, we would never abandon him (unless of course he did something really awful but I dont see that happening at all). Hopefully your sons girlfriends parents will be the same.

On another note - you say you have considered moving to Oz too but the time was not right and when it will be, you may be too old. Bear in mind that you need not rule this out. If you were to get your application under way now and your visa was granted (assuming it would be a permanent one on a skilled visa for example) in say 12-18 months time you would avoid time running out because of your age. You could then visit your son in Oz to validate your visa and you would get 5 years from the date your visa is granted to make the move out there. Just thought this might help with regard to finding the right time.

Best regards

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for all that advice,my sons girlfriends parents have said the same as you,but it is hard,you worry, like you said if anything happend to there relationship { would they be there for him or would he be in Oz on his own ** oh listen to me again going on.:jiggy:I didnt no that about the visa.I thought you had to activate the visa then stay there.

Do you no if you went on a permanent visa how much money you need to take into oz.

Thanks again Gwen:notworthy:

Hi Jo,

I no what you mean about being addicted to this sight ,it brill,I wouldnt mind you'd think it was me moving to oz in two weeks time.Been sorting out his bank account today, and all his paper work :realmad:which was all over the place nothing in order.I tell you,was you ever told "they get worse as they get older"they got that one right lol :goofy:He left me a list this morning of all the jobs he wanted doing,about ten.Try and keep yours young its a nightmare.At least when they where little you new where they where and if you didnt,you could ground them ha ha.

I also transfered the money into his account so he could pay for his visa which he has done,they told him it would be ready on the 5th cutting it fine when he flying out on the 6th.

Thanks again Gwen

Archived