HSBC & Credit Scoring

Guest MelW

Hi All, bit late in the day to be asking about this perhaps, we will be joining all those who have made the move to Brisbane, 18 days and counting. Anyway back to my question, we have an account already set up with Westpak, only transfered the bare min. just to keep the account live & running, for this pleasure we do get charged per month, which I think is the norm in Oz with most banks, we visited HSBC this week, to enquire setting up with them as they have no charges (or so she told us) but they did want to charge us £100, this £100 is for our credit history to be transfered to Oz, has anyone else come up against this, we knew we would have to build the credit history up again, has anyone found it hard work to rent / buy cars and houses etc, or has anyone paid to have there credit history taken over there and found this to make a significant difference.

:wacko:

Guest dwaldron

Bollocks. Westpac have been great, the fee is only $5 a month. The Australian credit rating system only records defaults and judgments so you would not have a credit rating here per se in any event.

I brought a copy of my UK credit file (cost: £2) which I used when searching for a rental and I think that helped.

I paid cash for the car but in the 4 months that I have been here I have a credit card (funnily enough with HSBC) that I don't intend to use and a contract mobile phone with Optus as well as getting the rental property.

In a nutshell, you don't 'build up a credit rating' here, you only build up 'black marks' for a bad credit history.

Does that all make sense? It's early...

Open it when youre in Oz and save yourself £100, HSBC are fine but dont have many branches unlike the UK where they are in every town, in saying that if your internet accounts in credit and you use your debit card for goods and cash back it wont cost a cent

and they even give you decent credit interest. (use that £100 for quite a few schooners)

Thanks for your replys, I think we will stick with Westpak, and see what happens when we get there, we are renting for the first three months, already sorted, but then we will be looking at buying (if we fall in love straight away) or renting for a further 12 months! We will also need to rent a car for a short time untill we find the right car to buy, we not made of money and the money we are bringing over is to use for a deposit on the house when we decide to purchase.

Archived