Mornington, Sorrento etc by bus?

marta

I have a stupid question. I am looking for some advice about some weekend getaways in Melbourne and around. The problem is we don't own a car and I was wondering, especially as some of you lovely guys are living there, if you would recommend going to Mornington, Mt Martha or Sorrento by car (rental) or public transport.

I have checked Metlink and I can see there are a couple of buses leaving from Frankston which I think is the last train stop.

But is it doable in one day to go to Mornington, and maybe take a boat to Phillip and French Island and go back home? (Home is St Kilda.)

Sorry if my question sounds stupid. I am really without a clue, and we have not had the time to see a lot in or outside Melbourne let alone Australia so we thought it might be a good idea to start with something nearby.

Any advice would be much appreciated.:wubclub:

Guest VickyMel

I was looking at tours for my mum the other day and found several coach trips from Melbourne.

It might still be more enjoyable and cheaper to hire a car and DIY and or public transport.

Australia Pacific Touring http://www.australiasightseeing.com

Phillip Island $169 / adult 10am to 10:30 pm

Mornington Peninsula $148 / adult

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok your best bet is to either hire a car or you can catch the train to Frankston, bus around Mornington, back to Frankston and then train down to Stony Point http://jp.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/metlink/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

From here you can catch the ferry to either Philip Island or French Island or even Seal Rocks http://www.interislandferries.com.au/faq.php

Personally, I would hire a car, go to Mornington then have a look down at Point Nepean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Nepean then from here head to Stony Point for the ferry. However if you are wanting to see the penguins it may be worth driving around or getting a tour another day

Only Sorrento in one day and with a car.

Personally as you do not know your way around as yet, I would do the bus trip, there will be a lot of elderly probably but expect lunch will be thrown in and other things also you get a commentary about the area etc and it gives you an idea for when you are driving yourselves.

Could hire a car for the weekend, I think a weekend would be better than a day trip to the places you want to visit.

Thanks guys that's been helpful!

-Yeah the downside of car hire is that we don't know where to go and how it works on Ozzie roads. Ye know what I mean...:wacko:

-So this makes the bus or even the "old ladies coach tour" even more interesting.

-As we are based in lovely St Kilda we have already seen the super cute little penguins so we would not want to seem them on Phillip Island necessarily. I was also more interested in the view on the island(s) as I love the water and the nature round here...

-Yeah it would definitely make sense to go there overnight, also it would be more relaxing!! Thumbs up for this one.

So to sum up: I am almost sure we will go for the Metlink connection (train+bus) for the first time, and then we will see how we go about it next time as I am sure I will have to return....

What a hassle.

Sorry I am making such a big thing out of this but we have not had any relaxation for about a year now. So I am very excited...!!

Guest VickyMel
-As we are based in lovely St Kilda we have already seen the super cute little penguins so we would not want to seem them on Phillip Island necessarily. I was also more interested in the view on the island(s) as I love the water and the nature round here...

Do the penguins come in as far as St Kilda?

oh yes they do!!! but it's a different group from the one on phillip island. the group in st kilda is much smaller, just some 20 penguins from the antarctica for research reasons. but the penguins are from the same breed (if that is the correct English word).

have a look one day, it's really cute.

you need to come to the st kilda pier which is right down the esplanade behind this luna park thing, and then you have to go down to the end of the pier right after this cafe in the middle of the pier. you will see the signs.

they come out at dusk, take some warm clothing in case it might get a little chilly in the darkness. and you need good eyes too!! they are just so little but very sweet indeed. unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures using flash.

Guest VickyMel
oh yes they do!!! but it's a different group from the one on phillip island. the group in st kilda is much smaller, just some 20 penguins from the antarctica for research reasons. but the penguins are from the same breed (if that is the correct English word).

Oh wow... that is now on my list of things to do.

We were down at St Kilda a couple of weekends ago, Walked along the sea front as far as luna park - but then the crowds got more than I enjoy so we gave it a miss.

The evenings are lovely at the moment so I will smile sweetly at my OH and talk a wander down there one evening and hopefully get lucky with a viewing.

Just came across a web site about the project http://stkildapenguins.com.au/

Archived