Shipping about 15 boxes.

Zo2Oz

Hi everyone,

I am looking at very shortly shipping about 10 - 15 boxes, I gave the shipping companies a rough estimate of the size of the whole amount roughly 3 cubic metres but they seemed to want details of each individual box.

I am just wondering how much notice do the shipping companies normally need to arrange picking up the boxes. Mostly I am unsure of how much we will have to ship until it is all packed but do you think a shipping company would be able to take our boxes with about a weeks notice?

Thanks!

We used PSS and packed our stuff in the boxes they provided. We got the quote based on the number of boxes we said we needed but were told the cost would be finalised once we had worked out exactly how many boxes we'd actually need. So we got 6 flatpack boxes delivered a few weeks ago (as per the original quote) and sorted through our stuff then packed what we actually needed to take. Ended up only filling 4 boxes. I called them last week to confirm this, book the collection and finalise the cost - 4 boxes plus insurance. They have just been collected today.

You will need to provide details of all the box contents just prior to collection as this information must be forwarded on to Customs. We received official forms from PSS that we had to fill out. Assuming you are insuring your things you will also need to work out the replacement values in order to get the insurance premium sorted.

Is there a large price differential between getting a full package from a shipping company who comes and packs up all your gear, as opposed to packing your own boxes and getting a company to pick them up.

I rang a company yesterday who said there was no real saving as they have to bring the boxes to you anyway, so taking two trips to your house is equivalent to spending the extra time in packing all the gear?

As a guide is it a per box price, or as a whole depending on the number of boxes (i'd imagine the price increases per box, but at a decreasing rate)?

Can I ask how much quotes were for the 4 boxes lease? And 6 and 15 - lol

We are like that too -if we take anything, it will be last min. so won't know till we pack.

Yes the final total cost for 4 boxes was £339, of which £150 was insurance and £4 was for the delivery of extra boxes we didn't use. You can very easily get a number of quotes simply by filling in an online form and you will either get a quote immediately or emailed to you shortly after. I got quotes from 3 companies and found it pretty simple, didn't need to talk to anyone to get the figures but of course you can call to confirm things if you wish.

Is there a large price differential between getting a full package from a shipping company who comes and packs up all your gear, as opposed to packing your own boxes and getting a company to pick them up.

I rang a company yesterday who said there was no real saving as they have to bring the boxes to you anyway, so taking two trips to your house is equivalent to spending the extra time in packing all the gear?

As a guide is it a per box price, or as a whole depending on the number of boxes (i'd imagine the price increases per box, but at a decreasing rate)?

Seems to generally be a standard minimum cost then decreasing or at least a bit cheaper for additional boxes. But pricing structures vary from company to company. Really would recommend just getting some quotes online if it's only boxes you want to send. If you're doing a container load you'll need to get the company out to assess your stuff.

As for whether to just send a few boxes or use a container, that really depends on how much you want to take. Most of our furniture is flatpack stuff from B&Q as we knew we'd eventually move to Australia so never invested in anything expensive. And as we rent we hadn't bought any whitegoods. So it wasn't worth trying to ship all our stuff. We ended up just boxing sentimenal things such as souvenirs, DVDs, some books (although have given some away too), personal documents etc and a few small electrical items like stereo, computer monitor etc. Another factor for us is that I already have a house in Adelaide so we'll be moving into that and need furniture straight away, whereas many people moving over for the first time will have fully furnished short term accommodation and be able to wait until their container arrives.

Hope that helps :)

Archived