UK ISP providers?

Guest VickyMel

Guest VickyMel

I'm trying to sort a problem for my mum.

She only uses the internet to email me, and goes onto the internet for a max of about 5-10 mins a day. She does this using and old (Win 98 computer) and dial-up via a BT phone line.

She used to use Tiscali's free ISP connection by dialing via a local number - but that was taken over by TalkTalk and has been a pain ever since (and I suspect more expensive).

She wants a new "free" ISP provider that she can use.

I am unsure if BT have a ISP service that she can use without broadband as that might be the best option. She is adamant she does not want broadband (although this may be the best option at the end of the day) but I can't seem to find the old "free" ISP providers that used to be scattered around.

Just wondering what options there are in the UK at the moment?

Thanks

Vicky

Dial up is pretty much non existant these days.

I did a quick google search and found these. Might be worth reading up on and checking out feedback/reviews on them etc

http://www.freeukisp.co.uk/

http://www.free-internet-uk.net/

Also if you google 'free uk internet' or some such you'll get a few more returns to check out.

The cheapest way is to use a prepaid internet dongle these days though. But am not sure this would be compatible with your mums computer. I can't remember what a computer that old had on it for external devices tbh. Its a USB thing so plugs into the port on the computer.

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Snifter - I will check these out.

I think even if she goes for one of these it may just be a matter of time until having to change again...

I might manage to get her to upgrade the computer next time I visit!