Yarrabah - Cairns

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Today we headed off to Yarrabah which is on the other side of the bay to Trinity Inlet. Now I have to admit the scenery and views were fantastic ....

yarrabah1.jpg

yarrabah2.jpg

yarrabah3.jpg

yarrabah4.jpg

yarrabah5.jpg

yarrabah6.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

...... but....... and it's a BIG BUT, OMG I can't believe that people still live like that in this day and age.

It is an aboriginal camp and to say I felt scared driving through the village was an understatement, there was graffiti everywhere along with litter, the houses, well some didn't even have a house it was just two pieces of metal put together, the houses that were there were boarded up or had smashed windows, I came away in tears, I just wanted to get in there and help them make this area a paradise it should be.

There were soo many people about that I couldn't really get a photo, but this one was on the outer streets and I quickly took the snap whilst Rob continued driving, but this was one of the best houses in the area. In fact looking at it I would say this was 5 star compared to what we saw.

yarrabah7.jpg

Do they not realise what they have, a stunning area, in fact the most beautiful place I have ever seen, in fact going down to the beach made you forget everything that you had just witnessed on the way past.

We are going to go back in the next few days as we think we can drive all around the coast, so I will take some more photos.

Guest guest37336

Though changed no doubt Kate the forth and fifth photos down look amazingly similar to where I would occasionally fly fish, had some awesome times there with plenty of small Ox-eye herring,:notworthy::notworthy:.

It was very secluded and isolated back then.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

i did a lot of work in yarrabah,the kids used to throw rocks at the car on the way in,oh's rellies own the hills towards the inlet[wha dahs pronounced war day, chinese] in the 1920's the indegenious peoples were moved off there land from as far south as fraser island and taken to yarrabah.joh petersen tried to kick them outwhen they realised how much it was worth but i think the federal gov stepped in

Guest The Pom Queen
i did a lot of work in yarrabah,the kids used to throw rocks at the car on the way in,oh's rellies own the hills towards the inlet[wha dahs pronounced war day, chinese]

What a stunning piece of land to own. I said to Rob today, I wonder if we offered them $50k cash they would sell us their land (don't really want the house though:frown:)

Guest The Pom Queen
george wah dah used to sell some land off now and then theres lots of midges in that bush though

I bet it's expensive.

Archived