Saying Hello

karabumble

Hi all, I thought I would say hello here - I feel like everyone knows so much more than we do about this process - just when some of it seems to make sense, I read something else that just confuses me again!!!!

Anyhow, I'm Kara, i'm 36 and am married to Richard who is 38. I have a daughter Hannah who is 11, and Richard has a son Mitchell who is 12. The final family member is Milo the dog - Jack Russell aged 7.

This whole thing started following Richard seeing an advert on an industry website advertising vacancies in his line of work (access platforms) for the whole of Australia. We decided that it would be worth him sending his CV in to see if he heard anything back. Well....... 2 days later he got a telephone call which lead to a job offer to migrate and work in Perth.

Prior to this, all dreams of working in another country were simply that - dreams !!! The company use a migration agent to assist us in applying for a 457 visa, with Richard being sponsored by the company. I will be able to work too I guess and Hannah go to school. Richard's son lives with his mum in Wales so won't be coming with us - but is already looking forward to some fantastic holidays.

However, this all is hinged on the visa's I guess and if I am honest the process frightens me to death. We have now started to send info off to the migration agent and we are following their lead really. I feel so lost and am hoping that the process and knowledge of what to do will slowly become more clear.

I have already found this site really useful and am looking forward to getting to know people on here who I am sure will be able to give me advice and pointers along the way. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Cheers, Kara (oh and Richard and Hannah too :biggrin:)

Guest LeonHady

Hi Kara

Glad you're doing something you've wanted to do. We have just come out on a 457 too and though the process was really detailed, there weren't really any stumbling blocks. We too had an agent to advise and assist, so hopefully that'll take some of the worry out of it.

Obviously I can't give you much insight into what it's like out here, but first impressions are very good. Have been living in St. Kilda and then planning on moving west in a few weeks.

Believe the hype - people are extremely friendly, the pace is more relaxed but what's shocked me most is the quality of food and emphasis on health - even a chippy I drove past made a big deal about the kind of oil it uses!

Very health conscious place - Good luck with finalising the forms, the only point of note I can think of if you're budgeting is to bear in mind that used cars have a 4% government surcharge (so whatever you pay for the car - add 4%) might not sound like much but obviously you want to watch the finances in the first few months and that's a few hundred dollars we didn't account for!

All the best

Leon and Deena

Hi Leon and Deena

Thanks for your reply. We didn't know that about cars, it is little bits of info like that that help prevent unexpected surprises along the way!!

We are still very early on in our investigations about where we want to live etc etc (heading for Perth as that's where Rich's job is based) and we are excited about finding out as much as we can. I'll make sure that I keep in touch on here so I can get to know people.

Cheers, Kara.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kara

Welcome to the forum. You probably know more about the visa process than me, every time I catch up it all changes again.

Kate

Heyllo Guys & Gals,

Just wanted to say "Hi"

This is Imran here. I am a Australian Permanant Resident holding VE-175 Skilled Migrant Visa. Got the visa on 22-June-2010. I am done with my initial entry on 20-Nov-2010 & I visited Melbourne.

Planning to move to Sydney or Melbourne to settle down. Need help on finding a job & a decent home for my family.

Regards

Imran

www.khwajaimran.com

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Imran welcome to the forum

Kate

Heyllo Guys & Gals,

Just wanted to say "Hi"

This is Imran here. I am a Australian Permanant Resident holding VE-175 Skilled Migrant Visa. Got the visa on 22-June-2010. I am done with my initial entry on 20-Nov-2010 & I visited Melbourne.

Planning to move to Sydney or Melbourne to settle down. Need help on finding a job & a decent home for my family.

Regards

Imran

www.khwajaimran.com

Guest LeonHady
Heyllo Guys & Gals,

Just wanted to say "Hi"

Regards

Imran

www.khwajaimran.com

Hi Imran

Seems like your work is in IT, which I know very little about (I'm in education and my wife is a G.P) but I've been researching places in Melbourne for months on line and driven all over to see places in the last week, so might be able to help you with ares in general if you pick Melbourne.

All the best with the move

Leon

Archived