Moving to Darwin under NT State SS

Guest moda82

Hi all

I really need some help and I hope that anyone can do that,

I am planning move to Darwin to live and work there, I want to know exactly how it will cost me the rental, food, electricty I tried hard nevigating on sites and searching for costs, but I didn't find a satisfied information.

also I need to know exactly name of places that I can rent on it while I have job in Darwin.

another thing I need a help on the statement of commitment, how to write it

Thanks a lot for all

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is hard to give you a breakdown of costs because everyone is different, ie what kind of house are you looking for, how many people etc

Hi Moda82,

You can find out rental costs on the website ericfish suggested, thats where I got mine from. I would suggest calculating food costs to be what you pay now then convert into dollars on the current rate. Your statement of commitment needs to show that you have thought about the move to Darwin, what you have researched, why you want to live there in particular, how your going to support yourself when you get there, show costs of setting up home - ie, buying a car, rental bond, white goods, shipping, just show you have really thought about it. Add any people you have made contact with over there and your relationship with them.

I hope this helps.

check out realestate.com but realistically, if you want to live in a nice place you'll be paying at least $500 per week in rent. if you want to live close to the city in a house then add lots more, if you are prepared to commute or only need a small apartment then £500 pw should suffice.

second hand cars are expensive here, and if you need to buy things for your home then you'll pay more than most parts of oz. My advice, ship as much as you can. food seems expensive, its more in Australia than in the UK and costs a bit more in darwin due to shipping costs, we pay approx 25% more than we did in England.

when you do your research statement for the NT you will also need to show you have considered the climate - its tough going here during the build up and the wet. and you need to demonstrate that you have enough money to migrate. if there are two of you you'll need at least $20k, possibly more and with a family even more.

That might all sound negative, BUT once you are here, have settled and in jobs you will love it. there is so much work and opportunity here and everyone we have met so far is lovely. there's lots for people to do and plenty for kids (if you have them).

good luck

Jo

• 3 weeks later...

glad you are enjoying living in top end Jo.

how long did your ss application take out of interest? i am seriously considering going down that route myself.

I have been working south of Noonamah, but starting a new job at Mt Bundey next week

Archived