births in Australia

Guest stephanielouise981

Guest stephanielouise981

Hi,

I'm not pregnant (yet), but am planning to have another baby once we're settled in. I had a water birth with my first which was fine, but I HATED being in hospital.

Does anyone know if home births are freely available in Australia... I couldn't bare the thought of being in hospital again.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Steph x

Guest PlatOz
Hi,

I'm not pregnant (yet), but am planning to have another baby once we're settled in. I had a water birth with my first which was fine, but I HATED being in hospital.

Does anyone know if home births are freely available in Australia... I couldn't bare the thought of being in hospital again.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Steph x

Hi Steph,

You are able to get homebirths but I know it is restricted to where you live.

Here is a website and Aus baby forum that will help with any questions you may have. http://www.babycentre.com.au

How was the waterbirth ? have you got any usefull info as we are about to have our first baby and our local hospital has just had a whole suit of waterbirth facilities fitted and my wife wants to consider it. In fact that is why she joined the babycentre forum for any advise but not too many people on there have had waterbirths.

Guest PlatOz

Sorry for the multi reply,

I had problems sending the reply and got impatient and hit the enter key too many times and could not edit it either. lol :lol: I'll get me coat :roll:

Guest stephanielouise981

HI,

I only got your post once so don't worry you can take your coat off again.

Thanks for your reply.

The waterbirth was really great. I had planned the waterbirth from the very beginning. My only concern was that I would have to be naked (I'm a bit of a prude) but I kept a bikini top on the whole time. My contractions had been really strong and because I was so big at the end of my pregnancy it was difficult to get comfortable and move around. The water was so lovely when I got in. It eased the pain of the contractions and I could move very easily into different positions..plus you can still have gas and air (I loved that). I am 5'9'' tall and there was still plenty of room - I couldn't touch both ends at the same time. I gave birth to a 9lb 11 1/2 ounce baby boy (no wonder I was so huge), and I didn't need a stitch (no comments please). I think this is down to being in water for so long.

The only thing I would say is that water babies are often very quiet when they come out and sometimes a little grey/blue in colour, but this is normal - you just need to know otherwise it's a bit of a shock when you first see them.

My only concern is that I might not be able to have a water birth next time - if they're all in use then I'll have to do it on dry land.

I've rambled on a bit, sorry, but if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to answer them - feel free to PM me.

Steph x

Guest PlatOz
HI,

I only got your post once so don't worry you can take your coat off again.

Thanks for your reply.

The waterbirth was really great. I had planned the waterbirth from the very beginning. My only concern was that I would have to be naked (I'm a bit of a prude) but I kept a bikini top on the whole time. My contractions had been really strong and because I was so big at the end of my pregnancy it was difficult to get comfortable and move around. The water was so lovely when I got in. It eased the pain of the contractions and I could move very easily into different positions..plus you can still have gas and air (I loved that). I am 5'9'' tall and there was still plenty of room - I couldn't touch both ends at the same time. I gave birth to a 9lb 11 1/2 ounce baby boy (no wonder I was so huge), and I didn't need a stitch (no comments please). I think this is down to being in water for so long.

The only thing I would say is that water babies are often very quiet when they come out and sometimes a little grey/blue in colour, but this is normal - you just need to know otherwise it's a bit of a shock when you first see them.

My only concern is that I might not be able to have a water birth next time - if they're all in use then I'll have to do it on dry land.

I've rambled on a bit, sorry, but if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to answer them - feel free to PM me.

Steph x

Hi Steph,

Thanks you for your reply, Sue said a big thanks too.

:)

X

Guest loz

Youve missed a bit out Calngary It is 9lb 11 and a half. :lol:

I had to read it again. my eyes were watering at the thought.

heres me thinking I was brave with a 5lb baby !!!!

Guest stephanielouise981

Argh! Could you imagine 11 lb baby - that would make your eyes water.

I think if I'd have known he was going to be so big I wouldn't have been so keen to go gas and air only. No wonder he was so hard to push out.

I hope my description wasn't too graphic - not what you want if you're eating your cornflakes

Steph x

Guest Pasty

Hi All

My hubbie was 11lb 2oz when born and his mum had a home birth with NO pain relief!!!!

Jackie

Guest stephanielouise981

Holy hell.... I wouldn't mess with that woman. There is no way that I would do it without gas and air (I'm a lightweight so it is very effective on me).

My worry it that babies get 1/2 a pound heavier with each one you have. So the next one will be over 10 lbs... oh crap!!!

Steph x :o

Guest Pasty

Hi

I know!! I thought 8 1/2 pounds was enough!! The next one was smaller and quicker thank god and gas & air with a little diamorphine chucked in made it so much easier!!

Hubbies friend (now living in Perth) weighed 13lb when born and his mum had nothing!!! Now that is very scary, too much to think about, I need a lie down now

Jackie

Guest stephanielouise981

13lbs - that's like a 2 month old baby.

All I can think is 'welly top' - I'm sorry if that sounds disgusting, but you can't give birth to a baby that big and go 'back to normal' afterwards.

It's so scary what we women go through isn't it!!! Makes me feel all wibbly

Steph xxx

Guest Beki

I love a good toe curling conversation! Here's my story...

I'm 5ft nothing and went full term with twins, my skin was sooooostretched it looked translucent. Had a natural birth their weights 5.8 and 6.8 lbs (Plenty of epidural). I think the big one kicked the little one out as she practically flew out however with the extra room the big one got comfy and refuced to budge. She had a sink plunger (vontuse) attached to her head and a Dr who looked like Mr Magoo pulled her out. :shock:

After that experience I'm just a bit of a challenge junky...

Bloody hell bek ,n i thought i was hard !! ,,as for the second being bigger its not always the case my first was 7 1/2 my second 6 1/2 ,,and thank god i didnt have them the other way round ,the first didnt sleep and cried for england ,still the same 7yrs later ,my second well,,shes just an angel ,,id have dozen if they guaranteed they'd be like my daughter ,,

take care all

Cal x

Guest Missiemo

Well guys, mine did not get bigger, my first was 9lb 4oz then I dropped to 8lb 13oz and finally 6lb 3oz, we do have some funny conversation on this web site,

Guest stephanielouise981

Bloody nora Beki! I wouldn't mess with you.

I'm glad some people's babies got smaller - there's hope for me yet. Mind you I was two weeks overdue grrr!

Hope you're all having a good day

Steph xxx

ps I'm having a crap day, this waiting is really getting the better of me. Our pre grant letter could drop on our doorstep anyday now

Archived