Grandparents

Paul Creighton

Hi, we are new to the site and thinking of moving to Oz. My husband Paul is a plumbing and heating engineer and I'm (Sharon) at home looking after our 2 year old son Harry and doing the housekeeping and book keeping, etc. If we eventually move to Oz my parents would like to join us - how would they go about this, eg. can they stay for so many months per year to start with and how many months would this be? My parents are both 57 years old. Sorry to sound vague, hope someone can help. Kind regards, Sharon

Guest tahe49

Hi Sharon

Welcome to PIO. I can answer your question a little bit:embarrassed: but someone will be along with more info.

My mum is coming with us as well but one thing to consider is that parents have to have the majority of their children in australia. They could apply for a Parent visa but the waiting list is about 10 YEARS !!!! The other option is to apply for a contributory Parent Visa (which is what my mum is doing). You have to sponsor them and you can only do this once you have been in the country for 2 years. The really big downside of this visa is that you have to pay alot of money for it..... roughly £16,000. GULP!

It is definately worth taking to lots of people to see if there is another route for them.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sharon

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

In the longer term, your Parents may become eligible for a Contributory Parent visa if they are in good health and can meet the Balance of Family Test. Please see the following links:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

If they cannot meet the Balance of Family test then the only real long-term alternative would be an Investor Retirement visa if they can afford it. The details are here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/special-activity/405/index.htm

In the short term, I suspect that the answer will be a couple of long-stay tourist visas if your Parents can spare the time for extended visits to Oz, but you should be aware thhat one cannot work in Oz on a tourst visa.

Details of the subclass 676 long-stay tourist visa are here:

.Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

The tourist visa is discretionary. The length of stay in Oz which will be granted depends entirely on the judgement of the DIAC staff dealing with the application. Six months is deemed to be the "standard product" with this visa and if a longer period of stay is requested, then the application must be made to the Australian High Commission in London via paper and post, using Form 48.

Come back to me if you have further queries on your Parents' behalf.

Cheers

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emmalouise

My parents - in -law are in the process of applying for the contributory parent Visa 143. They are using Lorraine Beaumont at GoMatilda (she also previously helped me with my spouse Visa). You could do a lot worse than contacting her, we have found her to be really helpful. GoMatilda also have a great website Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

Good luck

Guest The Cutches
Hi Sharon

Welcome to PIO. I can answer your question a little bit:embarrassed: but someone will be along with more info.

My mum is coming with us as well but one thing to consider is that parents have to have the majority of their children in australia. They could apply for a Parent visa but the waiting list is about 10 YEARS !!!! The other option is to apply for a contributory Parent Visa (which is what my mum is doing). You have to sponsor them and you can only do this once you have been in the country for 2 years. The really big downside of this visa is that you have to pay alot of money for it..... roughly £16,000. GULP!

It is definately worth taking to lots of people to see if there is another route for them.

My parents too, have shown an interest in a possible move to OZ in the future, is that £16k for a couple or each?

Cheers

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi The Cutches

If your Parents were able to apply for a Contributory Parent subclass 143 visa today, the charges would be as follows:

Ist Instalment of Visa Application Charge: $1,390.00 - this figure remains the same whether one Parent or two are included in the application.

2nd Instalment (not paid till shortly before the visa is granted): $31,555 per parent, so $63,110 for a couple.

In addition, one has to deposit a Bond which is held in a special account at the Commonwealth Bank for 10 yeras but is refunded in full after that time so long as there have been no recoverable Social Security payments to the Parents during the 10 years. The amount of the Bond is $10,000 for a single applicant or $14,000 for a couple.

All the figures above are in Australian Dollars. The grand total, today, is $78,500.

The 2nd Instalment is the Contribution towards the Parents' future healthcare costs in Australia because a Contributory Parent is entitled to full Medicare from Day One.

The amount of the 1st instalment rises each year in line with whatever indices are used for ordinary visa application charges.

However, the 2nd instalment increases annually in accordance with the Australian Government's predictions about the increasing costs of providing the Medicare service. The increase happens on July 1 each year. This year it went up by 7.5%, roughly, which is a pretty steep rise.

Contributory Parent visas were first launched On 1 July 2003. The 2nd instalment was $25,000 in the 2003/4 Program Year.

The annual rise in the 2nd instalment has been as follows:

2003/4: $25,000

2004/5: $26,475

2005/6: $27,850

2006/7: $29,330

2007/8: $31,555.

My Maths is not good enough to be able to work out what the percentage rises have been year on year or overall since the visa was new, I'm afraid. Somebody with Maths might be kind enough to work the percentages out for us and post the info on here.

For more information, plesase see here:

Fees & Charges - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Cheers

Gill

Archived