Help!!!

Guest jogrant3232

Guest KP Nuts

Hi Jogrant, as far as we are aware not if you take it straight away, but believe you have a certain timescale to get it all moved over ie pensions, but not one hundred per cent sure, i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong......

KP Nuts

ps, where's the glitter then............

Does anyone know if you have to pay any Tax on money transferred when you emigrate to Australia?

As far as I know ............you will just be up for tax on any interest that your money earns while it is lodged in an Australian Bank or Building Society?

If you send money to an aussie account and the address you live at is still UK you don't pay tax on your interest or on the money you send over. Once you give your bank an aussie address you then pay the higher rate emergency tax - 45.6% - on your interest so it is in your best interest to sort a tax file number out as soon as you get there. Once you give your bank your tax file number you pay 10% tax.

Felicity

Guest The "Biscuits"

so does that mean that it is better to leave your money in uk while you sort out the tax file number then transfere it over?

There are 2 sides to this we think! The first is that our tfn came through quite quick (just over a week) and in that time the interest wasn't paid into our account so we only paid the lower tax. The second is that we have left some money in the UK and are now having to wait for the exchange rate to change. We could be earning more interest on it here - our savings account has a much better interest rate on it here.

This is just our story / opinion! Others may have waited longer for a tfn.

Archived