alternative therapies.........work

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

hi,my wife is a qualified alternative therapist...with 2 diplomas in stress ma :wink: nagement and holistic therapies.she is currently studying for two more diplomas in iridology(the study of the eye) and aurothology(the study of the ear).....does any one know what the demand for these types of therapies is over in aus,and would they help in any way to our application :? :wink:

• 4 months later...
Guest daisydeeds

I think Australians are keen to get into alternative therapies as part of medical treatment - ie more open to the idea. That was the impression I got looking around at private medical care anyway. Not sure if it is therapy specific nor whether those specialties are on lists but I guess it would be an idea to have a wee look around at what is covered by medical policies to see how the land lies.

Daisydeeds

• 2 months later...
Guest Andy & Caz Blake

Hi guys, I am currently still serving in the army over in germany, but we are looking to transfer over to the Australian armed forces on completion of my service. I already hold a Level 3 diploma in Swedish Body Massage and I am looking at earning a Level 5 diploma as a Sports Massage Therapist next year. Also interested in qualifying in Aromotherapy, baby massage and possibly hot stones therapy too ..

Was wondering what area you work in and what your research has found you so far as regards employment in this field.

Regards,

Andy

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi

I'm also hoping to use my complementary therpapies once we get there. I currently have diplomas in Reflexology, Aromatherapy and Indian Head Massage and practice EFT and Reiki I'm currently studying for diplomas in Manicure, Pedicure & Professional Make-up (I'm a glutton for punishment!!!).

From what I have heard/read alternative therapies are big out in Oz and people seem to be much more open minded about them, which is excellent news. I know we will (as therapists) also have to complete some sort of course to prove competency (and pay for the priviledge, of course!)

Bear in mind that some teaching bodies are not recognised out in Oz so it's worth doing a search online to find out which bodies are.

All the best with your transfer.

Karen

Guest Andy & Caz Blake

Hi all,

I am looking at using my last 18 months in the army to do courses in Aromotherapy, Baby Massage, Hot Stones and of course the biggy, Sports Massage Therapy ... any tips on course providers who award internationally recognised quals ?

Many thanks and regards,

Andy

Guest The.Colebecks

I came across the name Australian College of Natural Therapies in one of my Therapist magazines this month, their website address is http://www.acnt.edu.au They should (hopefully) be able to inform us of Aus recognised qualifications.

Karen :)

Guest austibeach

Well guys, I could do with your services right now, I've been suffering with chronic back/hip ache for ages now...... :(

Fancy a side trip to Cornwall before you all leave me and head down under ?........ :lol:

Eric.

Guest The.Colebecks
Well guys, I could do with your services right now, I've been suffering with chronic back/hip ache for ages now...... :(

Fancy a side trip to Cornwall before you all leave me and head down under ?........ :lol:

Eric.

Hi Eric,

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains - I have a herniated disc at the moment so I can truly sympathise :cry:

Anyhow, I know you were joking in your message but if you are in need of help with your back & neck here are some therapists in the Cornwall area ...

http://www.andyoldfield.co.uk/

http://www.pendragontherapy.co.uk/

http://www.sianhowells.com/

All the best

Karen

Guest austibeach

Thanks Karen, I'm off for some massage therapy in a minute, so hopefully it will help improve the situation. I'm afraid it's an ongoing problem I've had since breaking my hip and fracturing my pelvis, just over 20 years ago. What I really need is some warm Aussie sun on my back and the chance to go swimming in the ocean most of the year.

Oh well......one day. :)

Guest The.Colebecks
What I really need is some warm Aussie sun on my back and the chance to go swimming in the ocean most of the year.

That wonderful thought keeps me going each day too, bring it on :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Australia to me, appears to be a country of indulgence, although I live in Melbourne and they certainly like to pamper themselves here.

There are lots of spas, clinics, therapy rooms for hire in established practices and mobile practitioners although some therapies are still growing in popularity.

I can't remember the site I found but if you google one of your therapies, there was a national site advertising lots of equipment for sale and rooms for hire. There is also a free magazine given out a health/organic shops with a multitude of information so if you are good and have references, I don't think you'll have an issue.

Good luck!

Pj

Guest The.Colebecks
Hi Guys

Australia to me, appears to be a country of indulgence, although I live in Melbourne and they certainly like to pamper themselves here.

There are lots of spas, clinics, therapy rooms for hire in established practices and mobile practitioners although some therapies are still growing in popularity.

I can't remember the site I found but if you google one of your therapies, there was a national site advertising lots of equipment for sale and rooms for hire. There is also a free magazine given out a health/organic shops with a multitude of information so if you are good and have references, I don't think you'll have an issue.

Good luck!

Pj

Thanks for the info PJ :D

Archived