Digital Radio

Guest Andy_P

I have a DAB digital radio (Pure Evoke), and am wondering if it would work in Oz?

Just curious to know if anybody has taken one on the trip down under and could let me know.

Thank you!

Andy.

I work in radio here in the UK and was wondering the same as I am off to Melbourne to work in radio there. As I understand it the system of DAB planned for Australia is DABv2 - it's widely believed the UK rushed into DAB and we now have a system that's hard to upgrade because of the receivers that have been sold. So best bet is to sell your radio and by one of these: http://www.wifiradioreview.com/news/1156/REVIEW%3A_Revo_Pico_WiFi_Internet_Radio.html

Guest lee&julie

I was wondering the same thing,i have a pure evoke 1,anyway i went on world dab.com. Sydney & melbourne are trialing digital radio,then it goes mainstream in oz in 2009. so its worth taking your radio & seeing if it works if you are going to those areas,though it did say on the website that by the time it does go mainstream the current sets that are for sale in oz at the mo may not work? I'm taking mine as we are going to Victoria & i love my dab radio. :radar:

Guest Working to fish

Just my luck, i've just bought a DAB radio as well, and it weren't cheap. I've found the perfect channel to listen to all day, while at work, it's called 'chill' and it certainly does chill me while working away. So if i have to buy another one to carry on listening to this station so be it.

eddie,tina:yes:

Guest dwaldron

Cambridge Audio assured me that my DAB radio would work fine in Australia but I haven't had any luck finding any stations (Melbourne). I thought that the trial was just in Sydney and it had been going on for years??

Some interesting replies there, thanks to all.

I will have a dig around and see what other info I can find on the subject. As the saying goes 'Watch this space!'

Andy.

It appears that Australia is in the process of gearing up their digital radio transmissions using the new DAB+ standard. Here in the UK we currently use the DAB standard. Guess what, they don't appear compatible, at least from what I have read. So if you have a normal DAB radio like me, and probably 99.99% of everyone else, they won't work.

Apparently, new digital radios are being sold this year that can be upgraded to use DAB+.

I have sent an email to Pure asking for a bit of clarification and will wait to see what they say, but it doesn't look good. (Please don't shoot the messanger!)

:no:

Here are a couple of good links for some info:

Digital Radio Australia: HOME

Digital radios | DAB+

Andy.

Guest Curlysoo

I too have a DAB radio ... mine is a silver one with a venty looking front ... it currently matches my kitchen here in Essex ... if it doesnt match my new kitchen in Oz I would have bought a new one anyway! :v_SPIN:

For the men reading this ... that is the female technical point of view! ..... :cute:

Guest Andy_P

This is my email to Pure, and reply received regarding my Evoke-1XT radio:

Dear Pure technical support,

I have a Pure Evoke-1XT DAB radio, and it is working extremely well here in England.

My query is to whether or not it will work if I take it to Australia, and to Sydney in particular.

I have noted that DAB radio services in Sydney are in the process of switching to the DAB+ standard using the advanced audio codec, AAC+. Will my Evoke-1XT be compatible with this service, possibly via a software upgrade? (Unfortunately, I have a feeling I already know what your answer may be!)

Any information you can give me on this subject will be most welcome.

Reply:

Unfortunately the Radio will not be compatible because the AAC+ codec will require different hardware. Although they've actually been trialling DAB in Sydney for a long time now, they never made an official commitments to it.

In England and Denmark the uptake of DAB has been a lot quicker, so as a result we are going to be using the existing DAB for the foreseeable future.

:sad:

Oh well!

Andy.

Guest Working to fish
I too have a DAB radio ... mine is a silver one with a venty looking front ... it currently matches my kitchen here in Essex ... if it doesnt match my new kitchen in Oz I would have bought a new one anyway! :v_SPIN:

For the men reading this ... that is the female technical point of view! ..... :cute:

curlysoo , you did make me laught ,this is what tina would have said.:biglaugh:

Andy thanks for letting us all know

oh well it,s only money.:nah:

eddie

Archived