Is this being stupid...

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

We are looking to live in Australia but have'nt even visited the place before :roll: Is this a common thing to do or am i being rather dumb in wanting to sell up,move the wife and kids to the other side of the world to a place i've never been near ?!?!?!?

Opinions please.........and be honest :wink:

Guest Beki

I haven't been either, my husband did, way back in his back packing days, I recon sooooooooo many people can't be wrong!

Besides you're not going to the other side of the planet and falling off, you can always come back if you don't like it.

You'll only find out by actually living it, I think a visit is good if you can afford it but it'll still only be a visit!

Just go for it, spend the money you would have spent on a visit on something more permanent, like a swimming pool in you're back garden!

Life's too short to spend it checking everything!

Must go school run... :D

Guest bethandneil

hi

we had thought about going for such a long time, so decided to go for a trip, went in january, its as good as everyone says, if not better, we have applied for our visas (the day we got back!!) very expensive way of finding out everyone was right about the place (£6-7,000), great trip, but with hindsight would just go to live and save a whole pile of money and flying hours!!

Beth.

Guest Missiemo

Hi

We fly on the 19/06/06, have never been before, but can not wait to get out of this place.

Go for it

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Hi,

I think this is a very valid point you’re making. I've read on here about people who have never even been to OZ and are making the decision to move. It may be me but I’m very much a pragmatic person.

Our decision was taken following a holiday we had last year, we had never even contemplated moving to the other side of Leyland yet alone the world. Friends at work often say "so why do you want to go" if I’m honest many reasons but the prevailing one would be the standard of living, the safe environment etc.

Don’t get me wrong it's not all that rosy, like any place there are no go areas. But on the whole the level or crime does not appear to be that evident as it does here nor the seriousness.

Try to get hold of a programme that was on C4 called a "new life down under" we found this really good and informative gave very open and honest accounts both good and bad as to why people had moved over and why they had moved back to the UK.

If funds permit try to venture out on holiday and get a feel for the places don’t forget it's 32 times the size of the UK so lots of places to see and get a taste for.

Either way you are doing the right thing in thinking about it.

All the very best with what ever you decide.

Archived