anybody going to oz in nov?

paigedean

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest waowen

Hi! saw your post. We move to Brisbane on 29th Nov, booked our flights last week, flying with Singapore Airlines from Manchester. We have booked into the Ashmore Holiday Village (Goldcoast) for 8wks, this way we will have furnished accommodation. During these 8 wks we should be able to secure a rental, our container should arrive and also the car. This is what we have planned just hope it works out this way. For our 6mth rental we are looking at Pacific Pines, Helensvale staying hopefully around the Goldcoast area. We are going on a 176 visa, there's my husband and I and three children ages 14, 13 and 9. Looking at schools now and have sent a few emails off enquiring about places for the kids.

I've seen a few posts from people moving about this time, its great to hear off people and what their plans are, you can pick up some ideas.

Guest WilliamsUK

Hi Waowen

My OH has been offered a job in Brisbane and we're hoping to fly out in Oct/Nov. We have friends living in Pacific Pines and will be staying with them until we find a rental which will also be in Pacific Pines. We're a family of four, 2 kids aged 15 & 13.

Hope all goes well with your move.

Rachel

Guest waowen
Hi Waowen

My OH has been offered a job in Brisbane and we're hoping to fly out in Oct/Nov. We have friends living in Pacific Pines and will be staying with them until we find a rental which will also be in Pacific Pines. We're a family of four, 2 kids aged 15 & 13.

Hope all goes well with your move.

Rachel

Hi! Rachel, I'm Elaine by the way, don't think I put it in my last post, husband is Bill, the kids are Rebecca 15 (in Oct), Alex, he's 13 now and Ben who is 9. You'll be in Pacific Pines too, it looks a nice place and the write ups and peoples comments are always good. I think its a good location not far from the Gold Coast and all it has and I've been looking at schools in the area which seem to be fine. I've been emailing some schools in the area regarding admissions etc and to see what years they will be in from Jan '12, they have all come back with different years, I've heard people say this before that the schools don't seem to know the correct years. Rebecca would be going into Yr10 from September if she were to stay in the UK and Alex would be going into Yr 9, so far they've said Rebecca would be in Yrs 11, Yr 10 and a Yr 9 and Alex in Yr 8, and Yr 9. I always thought they are a Yr behind the UK equivalent, not educationally but the fact that they just number the years differently! Anyway, we'll just see when we get there I suppose. Bill has almost finished his 22yrs in the army and will be looking for work with aircraft as an engineer, we'll be going over on a 176, we've had it for almost 2yrs now (Jan '10) we've just been waiting for Bill to finish, it has seemed like forever, cannot now believe we've booked flights and have a date. We are just trying to book removals now and we are taking the car too, we're not sure about the cat yet, we'll have to wait and see about her.

Its good that you have friends to stay with, no worries there then?? Just hope everything goes ok with the shipping etc and it gets through customs OK. I've started packing things bit by bit, getting rid of lots of things we won't use etc, its a good excuse for a sort out. We're taking most things however and just hope it fits inside a 40ft container. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, Rachel, keep in touch, have you booked flights yet, a good website, what we used, seemed to be the cheapest was www.netflights.com.

Bye for now Elaine:biggrin:

Guest WilliamsUK
Hi! Rachel, I'm Elaine by the way, don't think I put it in my last post, husband is Bill, the kids are Rebecca 15 (in Oct), Alex, he's 13 now and Ben who is 9. You'll be in Pacific Pines too, it looks a nice place and the write ups and peoples comments are always good. I think its a good location not far from the Gold Coast and all it has and I've been looking at schools in the area which seem to be fine. I've been emailing some schools in the area regarding admissions etc and to see what years they will be in from Jan '12, they have all come back with different years, I've heard people say this before that the schools don't seem to know the correct years. Rebecca would be going into Yr10 from September if she were to stay in the UK and Alex would be going into Yr 9, so far they've said Rebecca would be in Yrs 11, Yr 10 and a Yr 9 and Alex in Yr 8, and Yr 9. I always thought they are a Yr behind the UK equivalent, not educationally but the fact that they just number the years differently! Anyway, we'll just see when we get there I suppose. Bill has almost finished his 22yrs in the army and will be looking for work with aircraft as an engineer, we'll be going over on a 176, we've had it for almost 2yrs now (Jan '10) we've just been waiting for Bill to finish, it has seemed like forever, cannot now believe we've booked flights and have a date. We are just trying to book removals now and we are taking the car too, we're not sure about the cat yet, we'll have to wait and see about her.

Its good that you have friends to stay with, no worries there then?? Just hope everything goes ok with the shipping etc and it gets through customs OK. I've started packing things bit by bit, getting rid of lots of things we won't use etc, its a good excuse for a sort out. We're taking most things however and just hope it fits inside a 40ft container. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, Rachel, keep in touch, have you booked flights yet, a good website, what we used, seemed to be the cheapest was www.netflights.com.

Bye for now Elaine:biggrin:

Hi Elaine,

What a coincidence, our daughter Georgia turned 15 a couple of weeks ago and our son Kai will be 13 in December. From what my friend has told me they'll both be going to Pacific Pines high school with Georgia starting in year 11 in Jan 2012 but I'm not too sure which year Kai will be in, need to double check that. Our friends have been over there for 2 years now and both their kids have settled in really well, do you have any family or friends in Brisbane?

Fingers crossed we'll be going over on a 4 year 457 visa but the employer sponsoring my OH, Andy by the way, is going to sponsor us for PR after 2 years. I haven't made any plans yet because I want to know for sure we have the visa, I've seen people on this forum who've booked their flights and sold their house before they have their visa, I'm not brave enough to do that!

We're going to use the move as an excuse to have a huge clear out so have had an estimate for a 20ft container, we did look into taking our car but decided it's too much hassle and will buy something over there. I really feel for you with the decision on your cat, we had a 10 year old Labrador and we couldn't decide if it was unfair of us to make him go through the journey but couldn't bear the thought of leaving him behind, unfortunately during a vet visit in May they found some tumours and he had to be put to sleep :(

Anyway, please stay in touch and maybe we could meet up for a barbie on the beach.

Rachel

Guest waowen
Hi Elaine,

What a coincidence, our daughter Georgia turned 15 a couple of weeks ago and our son Kai will be 13 in December. From what my friend has told me they'll both be going to Pacific Pines high school with Georgia starting in year 11 in Jan 2012 but I'm not too sure which year Kai will be in, need to double check that. Our friends have been over there for 2 years now and both their kids have settled in really well, do you have any family or friends in Brisbane?

Fingers crossed we'll be going over on a 4 year 457 visa but the employer sponsoring my OH, Andy by the way, is going to sponsor us for PR after 2 years. I haven't made any plans yet because I want to know for sure we have the visa, I've seen people on this forum who've booked their flights and sold their house before they have their visa, I'm not brave enough to do that!

We're going to use the move as an excuse to have a huge clear out so have had an estimate for a 20ft container, we did look into taking our car but decided it's too much hassle and will buy something over there. I really feel for you with the decision on your cat, we had a 10 year old Labrador and we couldn't decide if it was unfair of us to make him go through the journey but couldn't bear the thought of leaving him behind, unfortunately during a vet visit in May they found some tumours and he had to be put to sleep :(

Anyway, please stay in touch and maybe we could meet up for a barbie on the beach.

Rachel

Hi! yes! thats a coincidence about the kids ages and gender, you never know could end up being friends. Looks like Rebecca will be in Yr 10 then if Georgia is in Yr 11 as I think the cut off date is July and Rebecca's birthday is Oct, thats good to know then. It looks like then that Kai will be in Yr8 as Alex was 13 in March and will be in Yr 9. I was just looking on the Pacific Pines High website today, it looks a nice school with a varied curriculum, have you seen the prices of the uniforms though? Mad prices!!! Alex is in the habit of losing bits of his so it won't be cheap to replace them like in the UK!!

Don't blame you not booking your flights yet, I'd be the same and wait until the visa was definite. What line of work is Andy in? Sad about your dog its not nice when something like that happens you get so attached to them, even cats unfortunately!!

No! we've got no family or friends in Brisbane, we originally were going to settle in Adelaide but after a recce visit there in Easter '10 to verify our visa's we decided it was'nt for us. We had a good read up about Queensland and plumbed for Bris instead and we're nearly there. Things were expensive when we went over there in 2010, but you can find things cheaper and they had offers on in the supermarkets all the time like they do in Tesco's etc, the major thing that I hated was only having Coles or Woolworths to shop at but I suppose I will have to get used to that. Apparently there's Aldi (or is it Lidl) over there, not many but I might find a few dotted around. At least the house prices have dropped a bit in the last 12 months so hopefully they will keep going down until the time when we can buy, hopefully that will be within 12 mths, even better 6mths. Just hope the exchange rate would improve a bit.

Would love to meet up for a barbie at some point, we'll have to get used to the lifestyle and the barbies, should'nt imagine it will be too hard however!!!

Bye for now, regards

Elaine:jiggy:

Guest waowen
My daughter and her hubby arrive here on the 16th Nov on WHV's here is brisbane:D:D:D

Cheers

Brig X:D

Hi! Brig,

Thats good news for you then, something to look forward too. Bet they are excited about it all. Were about in Bris are you? Any tips on nice areas, family orientated??

Regards

Elaine

Hi! Brig,

Thats good news for you then, something to look forward too. Bet they are excited about it all. Were about in Bris are you? Any tips on nice areas, family orientated??

Regards

Elaine

yeah can't wait and just hope they get sponsership from it as miss my youngest terribly:(

So looking forward to it, big time:D

Well a lot of peeps who have younger kids live arround Bracken ridge area and quite a lot live in mango hill. Braken Ridge has some good schools as my freinds rents there, don't no too much about mango hill tho. Anywhere u go here within theses areas 15mins away is redcliffe where there is a good beach and lots of markets on the weekend.

We are in Chermside right next to pubs a huge shopping centre 'Westfield' there are parks and pools here to.

But we rent at the moment and when we go into rental we will be moving upto Burpengary, and you can get houses and a lot more land for your money up there. And it's closer to getting to the sunshine coast. And we don't have young kids, might even get to look after Kolas up there cos they are always looking for peeps to help out:D Awsome:D

It really depends what your looking for really if your used to the city life or like me a quieter life.

Only down side to Chermside is that it has no rail station but plenty of busses and only 10 mins if that into the city by car.

I do preffer North side Brisbane altho south side is nice too, but don't know much on those areas.

If i can give u any more info just let me know, more than willing to help:D

Good luck with your move

Cheers

brig :wubclub:

Aiming to arrive in Brisso on 1 November or thereabouts. we'll set off a few days before, with a stopover in LA (we will seriously need a holiday by then!), then fly on to Brisbane and have a few days getting medicare etc sorted, then Hubby will start work. I'm currently networking to get myself a job too, hopefully something will come of that and we should be doing quite well :o)

I'm hoping the rental market will be as active in December as any other time of year, as that's when we'll be looking to move to a longer term rental.

Depending when we can get our shipping organised we might be looking into next year to get all our stuff but not bothered about that, it's gonna be the weirdest Christmas ever for us - hot weather, no family to visit - but what a great adventure!

Guest RebeccahEltonHarrison

Travelling to Brisbane on 29th November with Cathay Pacific Airlines....... we are activating our visa and so excited we have been granted permanent residency!!!!!!!!

Guest WilliamsUK
Hi! yes! thats a coincidence about the kids ages and gender, you never know could end up being friends. Looks like Rebecca will be in Yr 10 then if Georgia is in Yr 11 as I think the cut off date is July and Rebecca's birthday is Oct, thats good to know then. It looks like then that Kai will be in Yr8 as Alex was 13 in March and will be in Yr 9. I was just looking on the Pacific Pines High website today, it looks a nice school with a varied curriculum, have you seen the prices of the uniforms though? Mad prices!!! Alex is in the habit of losing bits of his so it won't be cheap to replace them like in the UK!!

Don't blame you not booking your flights yet, I'd be the same and wait until the visa was definite. What line of work is Andy in? Sad about your dog its not nice when something like that happens you get so attached to them, even cats unfortunately!!

No! we've got no family or friends in Brisbane, we originally were going to settle in Adelaide but after a recce visit there in Easter '10 to verify our visa's we decided it was'nt for us. We had a good read up about Queensland and plumbed for Bris instead and we're nearly there. Things were expensive when we went over there in 2010, but you can find things cheaper and they had offers on in the supermarkets all the time like they do in Tesco's etc, the major thing that I hated was only having Coles or Woolworths to shop at but I suppose I will have to get used to that. Apparently there's Aldi (or is it Lidl) over there, not many but I might find a few dotted around. At least the house prices have dropped a bit in the last 12 months so hopefully they will keep going down until the time when we can buy, hopefully that will be within 12 mths, even better 6mths. Just hope the exchange rate would improve a bit.

Would love to meet up for a barbie at some point, we'll have to get used to the lifestyle and the barbies, should'nt imagine it will be too hard however!!!

Bye for now, regards

Elaine:jiggy:

Hi Elaine,

I was shocked at the uniform prices too, Kai is exactly the same and is always losing uniform or putting big holes in them, looks like no more bargain Tesco uniform for us! I also found out I'll have to pay $300 per year per child for textbooks and we have to provide all writing books, paper etc.

Also when the kids first start at school they'll have to take a test to see where they're at academically and could be moved up or down a year, quite stressful on the kids especially after the stress of the move.

Andy is a construction project manager and will be working on a big refurb in the city. My plan is to stay at home for a few months and make sure everyone is settled, and also make the most of the lifestyle of course!

Rachel

Guest WilliamsUK
Travelling to Brisbane on 29th November with Cathay Pacific Airlines....... we are activating our visa and so excited we have been granted permanent residency!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Rebeccah, you must be so excited. Any ideas on where you'll settle?

Hoping to settle in or around Buderim, Sunshine Coast. Will go and see smell and taste in November and go from there. We have done so much research about the area and schools, work, houses etc that I am in love already! Practically need to see it too ...see if it meets expectations.......

What about yourself?

We are a family of 3, me 32, hubby 37 and son 4...... would love another child but complicates visa so wait until next year maybe!

In november we are thinking of hiring a campervan to see as much as we can as we only have a short time there....coming back on 14th December (sadness) as we have committments this end........

very excited and jst want to get there now!

Hope to hear back?!

Becks x

Guest WilliamsUK
Aiming to arrive in Brisso on 1 November or thereabouts. we'll set off a few days before, with a stopover in LA (we will seriously need a holiday by then!), then fly on to Brisbane and have a few days getting medicare etc sorted, then Hubby will start work. I'm currently networking to get myself a job too, hopefully something will come of that and we should be doing quite well :o)

I'm hoping the rental market will be as active in December as any other time of year, as that's when we'll be looking to move to a longer term rental.

Depending when we can get our shipping organised we might be looking into next year to get all our stuff but not bothered about that, it's gonna be the weirdest Christmas ever for us - hot weather, no family to visit - but what a great adventure!

I know what you mean about Christmas, we've been invited to breakfast on the beach and then dinner round the pool, can't wait!

Rachel

Guest waowen
Hi Elaine,

I was shocked at the uniform prices too, Kai is exactly the same and is always losing uniform or putting big holes in them, looks like no more bargain Tesco uniform for us! I also found out I'll have to pay $300 per year per child for textbooks and we have to provide all writing books, paper etc.

Also when the kids first start at school they'll have to take a test to see where they're at academically and could be moved up or down a year, quite stressful on the kids especially after the stress of the move.

Andy is a construction project manager and will be working on a big refurb in the city. My plan is to stay at home for a few months and make sure everyone is settled, and also make the most of the lifestyle of course!

Rachel

Yes! deffo miss Tesco's. Yes! the costs of the textbooks etc for school, I believe a lot of it can be claimed back when you do your tax returns so its not as bad as it first looks, at least we don't have to pay the full school fees like on some visa's as not all qualify do they, imagine that? Did'nt know about the exams though, not good especially after a summer break they definitely won't be into doing tests, no doubt they will have a moan about that one.

Yes! I won't be looking for work straight away not until everything is sorted, I'd like something to fit around the kids school hours too and you know how hard they are to find?

I know on a 176 we qualify to receive the family allowance straight away and also apparently if your monthly wage falls under a certain amount you can claim assistance with the rental, think that is only around the 60-70,000 mark, cannot remember exactly!!!

I see a few more people have joined this thread now and going out November time, just counted the weeks on the calendar before its 18 wks for us!!

Is your visa in the pipeline, how close are you to getting it?? Exciting stuff!!!:jiggy:

Guest WilliamsUK
Hoping to settle in or around Buderim, Sunshine Coast. Will go and see smell and taste in November and go from there. We have done so much research about the area and schools, work, houses etc that I am in love already! Practically need to see it too ...see if it meets expectations.......

What about yourself?

We are a family of 3, me 32, hubby 37 and son 4...... would love another child but complicates visa so wait until next year maybe!

In november we are thinking of hiring a campervan to see as much as we can as we only have a short time there....coming back on 14th December (sadness) as we have committments this end........

very excited and jst want to get there now!

Hope to hear back?!

Becks x

Hi Becks

We're a family of 4, two kids aged 15 and 12, we're heading to Pacific Pines near the Gold Coast, we'll stay there initially because we have friends there which will make the first few months easier. Hoping to be there by November if not before if all goes well with the visa.

I've just seen you've sent a PM having problems opening it but will get back to you as soon as I can sort this laptop out!

Rachel

Hi Rachel

Thanks for pm .....just getting use to this site myself.....

Will pm you again...Becks x

Guest WilliamsUK
Yes! deffo miss Tesco's. Yes! the costs of the textbooks etc for school, I believe a lot of it can be claimed back when you do your tax returns so its not as bad as it first looks, at least we don't have to pay the full school fees like on some visa's as not all qualify do they, imagine that? Did'nt know about the exams though, not good especially after a summer break they definitely won't be into doing tests, no doubt they will have a moan about that one.

Yes! I won't be looking for work straight away not until everything is sorted, I'd like something to fit around the kids school hours too and you know how hard they are to find?

I know on a 176 we qualify to receive the family allowance straight away and also apparently if your monthly wage falls under a certain amount you can claim assistance with the rental, think that is only around the 60-70,000 mark, cannot remember exactly!!!

I see a few more people have joined this thread now and going out November time, just counted the weeks on the calendar before its 18 wks for us!!

Is your visa in the pipeline, how close are you to getting it?? Exciting stuff!!!:jiggy:

Hi Elaine,

Considering Andy was offered the job in September I thought we'd be out there by now! Unfortunately the employer underestimated what was needed to become a sponsor so after months and months their immigration lawyer finally said the company met the criteria 3 weeks ago and the application was submitted. Once this is approved (fingers crossed we'll find out very soon) we can then apply, from looking at threads on 457 visas on here it can then take anything from one week to 12 weeks to be approved, hopefully ours will be looked at quickly. I feel quite positive about it and have never heard of a 457 being refused, so as long as the company is approved as a sponsor we'll be out there before Christmas. We already have friends who want to rent the house so it'll be a case of just packing up and booking flights as soon as we have the visa.

Unfortunately we won't be eligible for any assistance because we'll be on a temp visa for 2 years and will then be sponsored for PR, so I won't be able to be a lady of leisure for long! My friend has an office job and the hours are 7am to 3pm, this sounds perfect to me as long as the kids can be trusted to get themselves to school!

You must be so excited knowing you only have 18 weeks to go, also a bit scared?

Rachel

Hello again......it has taken us nearly four years to get this visa as the rules kept changing!!! so to get one now has changed our lives!!

We have a Skilled -Sponsored (subclass 176).... did not think we would be entitled to any financial bits until after 2 years....

I was hoping I could be a lady of leisure too.... even just for a month!

Becks x

Guest WilliamsUK
Hello again......it has taken us nearly four years to get this visa as the rules kept changing!!! so to get one now has changed our lives!!

We have a Skilled -Sponsored (subclass 176).... did not think we would be entitled to any financial bits until after 2 years....

I was hoping I could be a lady of leisure too.... even just for a month!

Becks x

Sorry I shouldn't moan about how long it's taking when there are people that have waited as long as you have x

I'm sure you could manage a month of being a lady of leisure, I think we'll all need it after the big move.

Rach

Guest paintpotty

Hi all

Hope to be moving to sydney on my partner visa,obviously with my partner and our pet dog bella the boxer.My partner has a lot of family in sydney so we should settle in ok.Just need my visa now which has gone past the 4 month mark now and very frustrating waiting for it as we cant book flights or sort a company out for the dog.Im sure it will all be worthit in the end though.:cool:

Guest WilliamsUK
Hi all

Hope to be moving to sydney on my partner visa,obviously with my partner and our pet dog bella the boxer.My partner has a lot of family in sydney so we should settle in ok.Just need my visa now which has gone past the 4 month mark now and very frustrating waiting for it as we cant book flights or sort a company out for the dog.Im sure it will all be worthit in the end though.:cool:

Hi

Hopefully you'll hear something soon, I know how frustrating it can be, they don't make it easy do they!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rusty1409
where abouts if you are?

Hoping to go end Oct/beginning Nov - my husband is just waiting for his 457 to be approved. Plan to go to one of the coastal areas where my husband can commute to Brisbane - we're considering Manly, Wynnum etc. Just trying to get organised and decide what to take furniture/appliance-wise, and persuade our kids (2 boys - 6 and 3) that they can only take certain toys & books... No pets to worry about, thankfully..

Trying not to get too stressed, but it's such a huge change to our lives....!:wacko:

I know what you mean about Christmas, we've been invited to breakfast on the beach and then dinner round the pool, can't wait!

Rachel

Sounds fantastic! Hope we can get a cheeky invite from some swiftly-made pals after we arrive heheh, hubby already knows a couple of guys in Brisso originally from around here so you never know.

To bring this up to date, we have now booked flights and arrive 4 November after 5 nights in LA. We'll need that little break! We are staying in Kedron for the first 4 weeks, having seen a nice little cottage just big enough for us two on Stayz. Might even get a long term rental there, I've seen loads of nice looking ones on realestate for reasonable rents. If (BIG if) I end up working where I want in Herston that'll be very handy! Fine for hubs too, he can bus it to South Bank then walk or CityGlide to his office. Actually he should have a ute, so can drive there!

Been checking it out, and there are both Target and K Mart nearby in Chermside so we can stock up on necessities ahead of the container arriving. My goodness, K Mart is cheap! Not much online shopping on the site yet, but major bargains in the catalogue. Can't wait to get shopping! It'll be like the first time leaving home heehee!

Good luck to all with visas and moving :biggrin:

Archived