Shipping to Darwin

reddebz

Well, I have been getting quotes to ship our stuff up to Darwin and the difference between a shared container and a container all to ourselves is around £150. Its because they have to get it up to Darwin from either Brisbane or Adelaide and on the road train. These have all come out around the £5k mark for a 20ft container. Im unsure weather to ship our stuff now! Im not sure weather to cut our losses and just buy secondhand and new when we get there. Has anyone else done this?

Guest laura1106

Hi I am moving to Darwin in 6 weeks!! Geting nervouse now. I just cut my losses and sold all my stuff here and will just buy when i get there. I was getting qouted ridiculous prices and couldnt believe they wanted so much money. When are you movind to Darwin

Hiya,

We are planning on being there for 1st Oct, so 9.5 weeks. Have you been there before? DO you know where your living yet? We have just come back and are on count down now. Im so confused about shipping versus buying new out there, I got a quote back form Doree Bonner for shared container of £3700 wich seems to be ok so will probably go for that. I cant wait to get out there and start our new lives, Im a hairdresser and have already found a job over there and cant wait to get started. I also found a lovely pre school for my son and my husband is chomping at the bit to get going as well. How about you...

Guest laura1106

Hi ya i know its all very confusing. I have got a job as a nurse and will be living in the hospital for a few months. We have never been before so dont have a clue about anything over there! I prob should have taken a trip first... I start on the 13th Sept i am really looking forward to it. Im just a bit worried about my husband finding a job for my husband he is a painter and decorator. Im hoping he will get something. Did you find Darwin very expensive? What area are you going to be staying in? Have you got a job to go to?

Guest guest24485

Hi there, just reading your post about shipping stuff to Darwin or selling it and buying new when you get there.

The only issue we found with this was Darwin doesn't have that much variety of furniture stores. Yes you have Harvey Ripoff, sorry Harvey Norman and also Lecornu but it has very little choice. There are some others like Carla Furnishers, CC's Warehouse and a couple of smaller ones but we really miss the choices we could get everywhere else. God I miss Ikea. Lol.

And also remember because it's the Territory and it's isolated, things can cost a little more.

Other than that I hope you enjoy Darwin, it's getting warmer now so it won't be long til the wet season arrives. Ahhh, bless the humidity.

Madmunky

Hi there - we have just moved to Darwin! Arrived mid July but unfortuately most of our stuff doesn't get here til early Sept :wacko:

Anyway the advice I will give you is to SHIP AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! My sister emigrated to Cairns last year and they have similar problems with lack of shop variety and some higher costs than other cities. They only brought a few boxes and had to buy all new furnishings, which they regretted with hindsight, so they strongly advised us to bring as much as we could.

I am so glad we followed this advice. We paid c£4,500 to ship 500 cubic feet (groupage). yes it sounds alot but when I added up the value of our stuff - computing equipment, some furniture, clothes, shoes, kitchen equipment, electricals like tumble dryer, microwave etc it soon added up to between £20-25k...and that was a rough calculation. Plus that was before the pound dropped even more and we saw the limited shopping choices here. If you don't want to ship stuff just remember what it was like when you moved into your first home...all those costs and little items you'd forgotten about and having to make do with cheap stuff until you had enough dosh to get better - do you really want to be in that position again, or just spend c£4k on shipping? In my view its a no brainer, especially when the credit card converts your spending at a mere $1.45-49 per £1!!

However, we are all different and have differing personal belongings/furniture that either do or don't have sentimental value. plenty of people on pio have come with hardly anything and hardly any money and have made it work...suppose it depends how much of a challenge you are up for?!!

Hope all goes well when you arrive in Darwin, keep me posted on how you get on. It is a lovely place!

best wishes, Jo

Thanks Jobo, Who did you ship with? Im considering going out and getting a garden set thats just gone down from £800 to £250 as I know how expensive things are! Ive made up my mind to ship most things now and Im just deciding wether to buy some more things here to add in......Also, where have you decided to live? Do you have kids? I ask because we have been looking at Jingli/Millner and Rapid creek for living and Im still confused about which preschool for my son.

Thanks Jobo, Who did you ship with? Im considering going out and getting a garden set thats just gone down from £800 to £250 as I know how expensive things are! Ive made up my mind to ship most things now and Im just deciding wether to buy some more things here to add in......Also, where have you decided to live? Do you have kids? I ask because we have been looking at Jingli/Millner and Rapid creek for living and Im still confused about which preschool for my son.

Hey Reddebz

We shipped with Britannia Pink & Jones - a local company (nr Northampton) but under the Britannia banner/franchise. My sister used them. We got them to come round for a quote (one with & one without furniture). Once I had that and their estimated cubic footage I called round other companies like Anglo Pacific, PSS etc and asked them for a telephone quote based on the cubic feet. All were alot more expensive than Britannia.

However - Our stuff has not arrived yet so I don't know what condition it will be in. Also I found them to be quite lacking in customer service, I feel like I am always asking questions and chasing for updates...so i suppose you get what you pay for to an extent. Oh and we got them to do the packing...don't think the cost is that much more and i reckon its worth it...they brought 5 guys and were all packed up within a few hours. if i had attempted to wrap and pack everything it would have taken days/weeks!

And we didn't use the britannia insurance - I think we used insure your move.com which someone on PIO recommended!

We live in Palmerston you tend to get a bit more for your bucks here and newer properties. I haven't looked in the areas you mentioned but I think the properties are older...we were worried about damp plus alot of outdoor maintenance with trees/bushes...but to be fair we didn't do alot of research there. have you looked at realestate.com? I'm afraid I don't have kids so can't help with schooling but could ask around. Be wary about where you stay when you first arrive. We arrived at the peak of the holiday season so short term rentals were extremely high.

sorry for the long message - i just feel like i should share as much info as possible to try and help!!

Feel free to ask me any Qs - if necessary I can ask around for you...I know how hard it can be and all the Qs running through your mind :yes:

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reddebz,

we too have just arrived in darwin 10 days ago from Liverpool and slowly getting into the swing of things. We have 2 kids ethan aged 7 and chloe aged 4 and are in the process of sorting schools for kids etc among other things. My husband's new job brings us here to Darwin. We have been previously living and working in Tanzania for the last 5 years too.

We also shipped a 40ft container here from Liverpool to Darwin and used a company called 1st move international who so far have been excellent. We don't receive our things till early september so not too long really. They were really helpfull and communicated with us very well.

As Jobo said it's definately worth shipping your things over as it really is all those small things that you accumulate over the years that you forget about so for the sake of a one of fee it's definately worth it. You will pay a little more for things here too (although not much more than the uk) but it will soon amount to a few $$$$'s especially if you have kids as all their toys etc soon add up and you'll never get back what you initially paid for them.

I really hope the move goes well for you as it's a stressfull time for all the family trying to organise flights, schooling and shipping etc but before you know it you'll be here. It's great that you have also found a job too. As my kids are getting older now i too will be looking for a job as by trade i am a beauty therapist previously working for Clarins so a similar trade to yourself.

Anybody who is interested i'd love to meet up and swap tales of the move that we've all encountered. After reading different posts for the last few months on PIO i have only just joined. Finally!

take care.

shell

Guest Jayne63

Hi we are moving to Darwin end of October mid November and like so many others I am unsure about what furniture to take. My family here in UK are hoping we take nothing as they would be happy to take all goods off our hands. I am given a mere 10 cubic sq metres via the company I will be employed by and now desperately need advice re: best companies to use. Any advise welcome

Regards to all

Jayne

Hi we are moving to Darwin end of October mid November and like so many others I am unsure about what furniture to take. My family here in UK are hoping we take nothing as they would be happy to take all goods off our hands. I am given a mere 10 cubic sq metres via the company I will be employed by and now desperately need advice re: best companies to use. Any advise welcome

Regards to all

Jayne

Hi Jayne

As I said to reddebz I would ship as much as you can. once you are here you will soon see that things are more expensive, especially so if you are having to convert £pounds.

It might seem expensive when you get a quote but when you work out the cost of buying new over here you'll soon see its worth it.

We used Britannia (se prev post above). If you are unsure of removal companies have a look at a few migration websites and expos and you'll find some companies advertising. once you get one quote and have your total volume you can ring for other quotes. there are also some good posts on PIO about shipping companies so do a search.

be warned it will take some time to get here so you'll need to work out what you'll do between leaving the UK and waiting for your stuff to arrive. what are you doing about housing? Do you get temp furnished accom through your company?

JO

Archived