So..start to finish...what IS the rental process?

emmafaye

Just a quickie, we arrive in Melbourne in 4 weeks and although we already have accomaodation for the first 6 weeks, I just want to know step by step what the whole rental process is in Australia, as I'm guessing from what Ive read on these forums that its completely different to the UK version...(also is it true that if the real estate guys don't like you, then they can effectively dismiss your application? Are they gods?:huh: )

Emma x

Guest Sarah29

Hi Emma,

I can tell you what the process has been for me in Canberra, I assume it will be the same in Melbourne (I'm moving there in about 7 weeks time).

You can't generally phone an agent and arrange to view a property at a time to suit you, the agents set an inspection time (normally a 15/20 minute window) on a given date and you either view it then or miss out. So everyone that is interested in that property is there viewing it at the same time.

If you're interested, you take one of their application forms, fill it in and send it back to them with the supporting documentation required (normally 100 points of ID i.e. passport, drivers licence, medicare card, bill in your name etc, and evidence of income) and they decide a shortlist of applicants to forward on to the landlord to choose who they want to live in their property.

I would advise that if you see a property advertised that you're interested in, download a copy of the application form from the agent's website or email them and ask them to send you a blank form prior to the viewing, so that you can have it filled in and copies of your supporting docs ready for the day of the inspection. Once you've viewed the property, if you still want to apply for it, you can hand over your completed application right there and then and be one of the first on the list of potential applicants.

If the agent doesn't like you, they can discount you from the shortlist they give to the landlord, so when you're at the viewing, strike up a conversation with them so they're more likely to remember you in a good light when looking through the applications!!! One thing to talk about might be if you don't have the 100 points of ID yet because you've just moved there - it wasn't a problem for me and if anything will make you more memorable as the person that's really excited about having just moved to Oz from the other side of the world!!

Hope that helps, good luck with the move!

Sarah

Guest juliemtaylor

Just the same here in Melbourne, Stressful - Yes! If you are lucky you may find a nice Estate Agent who will give you the nod when a suitable property comes up to arrange a private viewing before the crowds. Get copies of all your ID etc done before you go and fill in as much of an application form as you can so if you like somewhere give it in on that day!

Good Luck,

Julie x

Archived