Our plans so far

Eclipse

Pomsinoz have been invaluable to us throughout our journey so I thought I should share my experience so far in the hope that the information provided may be of use to someone else.

We applied for our visa 3 years ago, on January 2011 we were finally allocated a CO and not long after received our visa (175).

Because we have been waiting so long to get our visa we decided not to wait any longer, so from February 2011 this is what we have arranged to date:

The first thing we done was contact shippers, we had

Crown, Doree Bonner, Anglo Pacific, Pickfords and PSS. This process took a while, it is a lot of money to pay out so trying to get the best deal takes up a lot of time! (don’t be scared to ask for discounts and extras). In the end we chose Pickfords.

You may want to take out insurance for your possessions when in transit, we chose Letton Percival, I found them extremely helpful and cheaper than the shipping companies quotes and Insure your Move.

Once we had secured our shipping company our attention was on how we were going to get there.

I have read so many great reviews on Singapore Airlines so they were my first and only choice.

We have a cat, Sparkey, who is coming with us but found it was going to cost us a least £300 to fly him to Heathrow from Scotland. I also found that although we will fly with Singapore Airlines it is actually British Airways that would fly us from Glasgow to Heathrow As we are emigrating we would need the extra baggage that Singapore Airlines would be allowing us but this does not apply when flying from Glasgow to Heathrow. We have decided to hire a car and drive to Heathrow Airport with foresaid cat, he will then be looked after by Transfur (again best quote I had from pet travel companies, they are in touch all the time and really informative)

We have used Go Walkabout for our Travel Insurance, this was really straightforward and easy to get.

We have booked a holiday resort for a 4 week stay until we find a more permanent address; this took weeks to find the right place. Although this is not a holiday I wanted to find somewhere the kids (age 12 and 13) would enjoy in the hope that making this whole transition easier for them (happy kids, happy parents :yes:). If I can give anybody advice on finding accommodation, it would be, don’t pay the advertised price, e mail them, ask for a discount, when they give you a discount, be cheeky, ask for more, I more than halved the advertised price of my accommodation.

Pomsinoz have been invaluable to us throughout our journey so I thought I should share my experience so far in the hope that the information provided may be of use to someone else.

We applied for our visa 3 years ago, on January 2011 we were finally allocated a CO and not long after received our visa (175).

Because we have been waiting so long to get our visa we decided not to wait any longer, so from February 2011 this is what we have arranged to date:

The first thing we done was contact shippers, we had

Crown, Doree Bonner, Anglo Pacific, Pickfords and PSS. This process took a while, it is a lot of money to pay out so trying to get the best deal takes up a lot of time! (don’t be scared to ask for discounts and extras). In the end we chose Pickfords.

You may want to take out insurance for your possessions when in transit, we chose Letton Percival, I found them extremely helpful and cheaper than the shipping companies quotes and Insure your Move.

Once we had secured our shipping company our attention was on how we were going to get there.

I have read so many great reviews on Singapore Airlines so they were my first and only choice.

We have a cat, Sparkey, who is coming with us but found it was going to cost us a least £300 to fly him to Heathrow from Scotland. I also found that although we will fly with Singapore Airlines it is actually British Airways that would fly us from Glasgow to Heathrow As we are emigrating we would need the extra baggage that Singapore Airlines would be allowing us but this does not apply when flying from Glasgow to Heathrow. We have decided to hire a car and drive to Heathrow Airport with foresaid cat, he will then be looked after by Transfur (again best quote I had from pet travel companies, they are in touch all the time and really informative)

We have used Go Walkabout for our Travel Insurance, this was really straightforward and easy to get.

We have booked a holiday resort for a 4 week stay until we find a more permanent address; this took weeks to find the right place. Although this is not a holiday I wanted to find somewhere the kids (age 12 and 13) would enjoy in the hope that making this whole transition easier for them (happy kids, happy parents :yes:). If I can give anybody advice on finding accommodation, it would be, don’t pay the advertised price, e mail them, ask for a discount, when they give you a discount, be cheeky, ask for more, I more than halved the advertised price of my accommodation.

Thanks very helpfull post, I'll start trying out my apprentice style haggling now! Good luck with the move.

Guest VickyMel

Congrats on the visa Eclipse we also got our visa back in January so know exactly where you are coming from with all this.

We have just decided on our removers but are trying to sort the flight out.

We are living in South Africa at the moment and our options seem to be either a higher priced "migration flight" where we are allowed 40kgs.

Or alternatively we also would have to pay excess baggage for one leg of the trip (although that may still be cheaper than the migration special).

I have twice transported my cat long distances in the UK.

The first time he escaped the box - slashed the head of the driver as he ran over him to the front of the car. I had been told they are much calmer on your lap so I then wrapped him in a towel. He was calmer and quieter but he peed on me half way through the trip - lovely.

The second time he stayed in the box.

Good luck with the rest of your plans

Vicky

Oh gosh, the poor driver must have got a real fright !! Your cat seems to be really feisty, our cat would be too lazy to make a run for it..:cute:

I take it you didn't use the same pet travel comany the second time !!

Good luck with your move,

Pamela

Congrats on the visa Eclipse we also got our visa bac

k in January so know exactly where you are coming from with all this.

We have just decided on our removers but are trying to sort the flight out.

We are living in South Africa at the moment and our options seem to be either a higher priced "migration flight" where we are allowed 40kgs.

Or alternatively we also would have to pay excess baggage for one leg of the trip (although that may still be cheaper than the migration special).

I have twice transported my cat long distances in the UK.

The first time he escaped the box - slashed the head of the driver as he ran over him to the front of the car. I had been told they are much calmer on your lap so I then wrapped him in a towel. He was calmer and quieter but he peed on me half way through the trip - lovely.

The second time he stayed in the box.

Good luck with the rest of your plans

Vicky