457 sponsorship. What's your experience?

Guest MelliVenelli

Guest MelliVenelli

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask anyone who's been down this road as a means of getting to Oz, (especially those from a nursing/Midwifery background but all experiences welcome).

What cost was it to you?

How long did the process take?

Did you organise visa yourself or did your employer arrange this?

If an agent was used did you or the employer pay for this?

Any perils/pitfalls to watch out for?

Any info on the whole process would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hey,

We came over on a 457 visa-I'm a mental health nurse. The cost to us wasn't major-medicals were around 500 for both of us, we paid for one way flights and employers reimbursed us, police check 70 pounds, IELTS was 150 or thereabouts, can't remember how much my registration was. It took us around a year for the process because of the IELTS being introduced and money constraints-we took our Springer Spaniel with us so he was our biggest expense. Would never of left without him. The employer puts the nomination in, and then you go through the process online, which is frustrating at times. We've not come across any major issues with being on this visa apart from when we went through Cyclone Yasi and we lost power for 4 days and were led to believe we'd get the $1000 each for loss of power and we didn't because we're on this visa. So we were peeved off as we pay our taxes etc and went through the same distress as everyone else but ah well.

Where are you planning heading to?

Joan.

Guest Emily82Surf

Hiya,

I am a Brit in NZ and just waiting for my Trans Tasman nurse registration to come through, before applying for jobs.

I just wondered how long the hospitals were tying you into a contract for if they sponsor you???

Thanks

Guest siamsusie

Hi Emily,

Just a quick welcome to Poms In Oz.

Hopefully you will find the forum useful and receive some quick answers.

Best wishes

Susie x

Guest tandcmum
Hiya,

I am a Brit in NZ and just waiting for my Trans Tasman nurse registration to come through, before applying for jobs.

I just wondered how long the hospitals were tying you into a contract for if they sponsor you???

Thanks

If you are coming over on a 457 you are tied into the employer for as long as you are on that Visa as it is a criteria of the visa, unless you get a PR visa or get your 457 visa transferred to anew employer

Guest shelly0121

hi there you said about how long for hospitals to get in touch about sponsor. How do you get that for anything? do you have to add your cv to the job web site or is there any where else where you could add it to ?

thanks Shelly

Archived