UK pension payable when living in Australia?

Guest anilaloop

Guest anilaloop

Hello all, I have decided to live on the PC until I find out everything I ever needed to know about Australia..this is the BEST:) site for information!!.

My mother is wondering if she decided to emigrate to Australia....would she still be able to receive her UK pension?

Any thoughts and first hand experience greatly appreciated :smile:, takecare x

Alina

Guest anilaloop
HI YA AGAIN LOL I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE ! IT IS YESSSSSSSS. :jiggy:

He he he....yup im getting the hang of this alright!. Thats great news for mum as she is now thinking of selling up and going for the dream too...thanks for your time in replying...takecare

Alina

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alina and welcome to Poms in Oz

My mother has a Contributory Parent visa. The answer to your question is that your mother would continue to receive part of her State Pension but not the full amount - I don't know why this is but they reduce the amount and then freeze it at the lower rate.

Bear in mind too that your Mum would have to be a PR for 10 years before she would qualify for a State Pension in Oz.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gill

Guest anilaloop

Hiya Gill, Thanks for the information very interesting...didnt know you could claim an Australian pension (in 10 years), thought never occured to us to be honest, always belived that you had to prove you could be self-sufficient when applying to live in Australia. Thanks again...takecare

Alina

Guest The Picketts

Hello Alina - me and my OH have just arrived in WA and are here on a Retirement Visa (Temporary Resident 410). I have just just reached 60 and will be receiving a British pension which I am having paid into my Nationwide account on a monthly basis. (I will draw it out of the 'hole in the wall here" as and when needed). The amount I receive will be fixed on the date I left the UK so I will not be eligible for any future increases that happen there. However, I have not had any reduction in this and as we are on a temporary resident visa we will never be eligible for Australian pensions. However, I am looking at transferring my private pension pot (which I haven't activated yet) instead of putting it into an annuity. There are tax rules applicable but it still looks like the best option, at least the 'pot' will remain mine and is not locked into an insurance policy I can never access again.

I do not know if any of this differs with other types of visas of course but I thought I would let you know how it is working for me.

All the best - Cheryl

Guest anilaloop

Hi Cheryl

Many thanks for taking time to reply....very interesting I shall relay newest bit of information to my mum...thankyou again...hope your enjoying Australia.....takecare

Alina

Archived