Enquiry

Guest mohangin

Guest mohangin

My daughter is just 16 and is about to leave school and start college. We are not planning on going to oz for at least 12 months.Will she be able to carry on college in oz or does she have to go back to school as someone has told me they stay in school til their 18

Guest ABCDiamond

In Queensland the leaving school age rules are:

Queensland school leaving information: http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/faq-leg.html#FAQs_2

From 1 January 2006 the minimum school leaving age will be raised from 15 to 16 years or when a student has completed Year 10, whichever comes first.

After this, the "compulsory participation phase" will commence. This phase ends when a young person -

* Gains a Senior Certificate or Certificate III (vocational qualification); or

* Has participated in eligible options for 2 years (eg. an educational program provided by a school, a course of higher education provided by a university or other provider, a TAFE course, an apprenticeship or traineeship); or

* Turns 17.

A young person's parents will be obliged to ensure he or she participates as required. This obligation does not apply where the young person is in paid employment for at least 25 hours per week or is under an employment exemption within the Vocational Education, Training and Employment Act 2000.

The age 18 thing does not seem correct to me. Although some children will stay till 18. My own daughter though, will be 17yrs old when she finishes year 12, the last year of school. Having completed the extra 2 years (11&12)

Archived