advice sought

Guest geordiecopII

Guest geordiecopII

Hello everybody,

Well, I have a very general question or questions to ask re starting out on this whole migration process. (I been on the DIMA web page, but would also like some advice/thoughts from real people who have been through the process)

My situation is as follows, I'm a 33 year old police

officer, my Wife is the same age and a student Nurse,

qualifiying in Sept. this year.We have one 8 year old Daughter.

After a number of years of talking about where we would like to be and being on the verge of submitting an application to both Western Australia and South Australia police forces, we have eventually decided to look seriously at Queensland (my Wife has an Aunt and Uncle living there)

We are looking to apply through my Wifes eventual job as a Nurse.

So, anybody on here in a similar position ?

Having looked at some of the different visas available, it would appear that certain ones require less post qualification work experience, ie through the skill matching database,however Queensland don't appear to take part in this scheme.

Apologies for a long rambling post, but any thoughts on how we could proceed would be much appreciated.

P.S. what do people think of migration agents.

Many thanks in advance

Geordie

Guest Missiemo

Hi Geordie

We went for the STNI Visa, as this gave us extra points because we had an offer from the Victorian Gov'n to sponsor us, (hubby is a bricklayer).

We did not use an agent, we find all the forms very straight forward and easy enough to complete ourseleves, you will save a fortune.

Good Luck for the future

Missiemo

Guest geordiecopII

Hi Missiemo

Did the process of getting the visa and all that goes with it take long ?

Cheers

Geordie

Guest Missiemo

Hi Geordie

Applying through the TRA to have skills assessed took 3 months, we paid extra so it was quicker.

Then sending the actual visa application, that was sent on the 12/09/05, and we had our visa granted 12/02/06, so that part only took 5 months and 4 days.

So not really very long, what stage are you up to?

Good Luck

Missiemo

Guest geordiecopII

My Wife does'nt qualify until this September.So, after speaking with a guy at Concept Australia, we

will have to wait at least until the end of the year before we can get the ball rolling.

As our preference is very much for Queensland at this stage and as Queensland does not participate in

the skill matching scheme, it looks like we're stuck until next spring.

P.S. are you out in Oz now ?

Geordie.

Guest Missiemo

Hi Geordie

I am sorry to hear you will have to wait, do not give up though, it will be here before you know it.

We are still in the UK at the moment, we fly out on the 19/06/06.

Lots of luck

Missiemo

Guest geordiecopII
Hi Geordie

I am sorry to hear you will have to wait, do not give up though, it will be here before you know it.

We are still in the UK at the moment, we fly out on the 19/06/06.

Lots of luck

Missiemo

Lucky you, I bet you can't wait :)

All the best

Geordie

Guest bethandneil

hi there

i am also a nurse emmigrating out to queensland, but on my husbands visa because i have just been off for a year on maternity leave and you have to be in full time employment for 12 of the last 18 months, so your wife would have to be qualified at least a year before you could apply, however on the up side of this, during a recent to oz we were told that visa applications for nurses were being fast tracted and could have as quick a turn around as 5-6 weeks sop you would still be out there quite quickly!!

as for using an agent we are, its more expensive but as far as our application is concerned its money well spent as we would probabaly have failed at the first hurdle due to incorrect job category,

hope this is helpful.

Beth.

Guest geordiecopII
hi there

i am also a nurse emmigrating out to queensland, but on my husbands visa because i have just been off for a year on maternity leave and you have to be in full time employment for 12 of the last 18 months, so your wife would have to be qualified at least a year before you could apply, however on the up side of this, during a recent to oz we were told that visa applications for nurses were being fast tracted and could have as quick a turn around as 5-6 weeks sop you would still be out there quite quickly!!

as for using an agent we are, its more expensive but as far as our application is concerned its money well spent as we would probabaly have failed at the first hurdle due to incorrect job category,

hope this is helpful.

Beth.

Thanks for the reply

I was aware of the 12 months we would have to wait before we could submit

our forms, but I didn't know about the possible fast tracking for Nurses.

Geordie

Guest lholmes

Hi Geordie

Have you looked into an employer sponsored visa? Nurses are very much in demand in Australia at present and so I am sure you wife would have no problems securing sponsorship. This visa would enable the whole family to relocate.

The only downfall with this visa is that it is only a 4 year temporary visa and you are dependant on the employer. Once you have lived in Australia for 4 years though, there are plenty of options available which would allow you to stay longer.

Where in QLD does your wife have relatives (post code)? She may be in a position to qualify for a Family sponsored skilled visa with only 6 months post qualification experience. Remember the work experience must also be post nursing registration.

It sounds like you guys are in a good position to migrate to Australia, be it tomorrow, in 6 months or in 2 years!

If you were interested in reading up further on the employer sponsorship visa, please visit: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/work-visas.aspx

Good luck!!

Guest geordiecopII
Hi Geordie

Have you looked into an employer sponsored visa? Nurses are very much in demand in Australia at present and so I am sure you wife would have no problems securing sponsorship. This visa would enable the whole family to relocate.

The only downfall with this visa is that it is only a 4 year temporary visa and you are dependant on the employer. Once you have lived in Australia for 4 years though, there are plenty of options available which would allow you to stay longer.

Where in QLD does your wife have relatives (post code)? She may be in a position to qualify for a Family sponsored skilled visa with only 6 months post qualification experience. Remember the work experience must also be post nursing registration.

It sounds like you guys are in a good position to migrate to Australia, be it tomorrow, in 6 months or in 2 years!

If you were interested in reading up further on the employer sponsorship visa, please visit: http://www.visabureau.com/australia/work-visas.aspx

Good luck!!

Hi Lauren

I'm a little confused ! I thought (with my limited knowledge on the subject) that the two options open to us were 1) apply for a visa

via the skills matching scheme, which applies to most of Australia

but not Queensland. this requiring at least 6 months post registration,

or 2) Hold out for 12 months and apply for our preference (Queensland)

Via a skilled worker visa.

If there are other options open to us I would be thilled to know.

My Wife has an Aunt and Uncle living in Southport on the Gold Coast.

A temp visa would not really be any good for us as we need permanent

residency before I can apply for the Qeensland police.

Many Thanks

Geordie.

Guest lholmes

Hi Geordie

If you were to apply for a subclass 139 skilled visa and your sponsor lived in a designated area (QLD - anywhere outside Brisbane and the Gold Coast), and as nursing is a 60 point category, your wife would only need 6 months experience.

This is the only visa that allows you 6 instead of 12 months recent work experience.

To be 100% sure that you would qualify for this visa, I strongly suggest doing an eligibility assessment which will ask for details about your wife’s occupation, qualifications and sponsors location.

The employer sponsored visa can take as little as 5 weeks to arrange, however it does have limitations.

Cheers,

Archived