Tasmania for Motor Mechanic & family

Guest raynornina

Guest raynornina

Hi we are looking into moving to Tasmania (Hobart, we think) and would like more information regarding job prospects and cost of living etc.

My partner is a motor mechanic for diesel and unleaded motors. (self employed for over 6 year) . he has also worked on plant machinery.

i work as a home help care assistant but do not hold any qualifications only manual handling cirtificates.

We will be moving with our two daughters, age 1 and 5.

we are looking at houses within a 20 min drive of hobart and beach. but not sure of best location to bring family up.

My partner would like to consider setting his own business (garage or mobile).

looking at state sponsorship on 176 visa.

Any advise welcomed.

(we are from Barnsley, south yorkshire, uk)

Guest siamsusie
Hi we are looking into moving to Tasmania (Hobart, we think) and would like more information regarding job prospects and cost of living etc.

My partner is a motor mechanic for diesel and unleaded motors. (self employed for over 6 year) . he has also worked on plant machinery.

i work as a home help care assistant but do not hold any qualifications only manual handling cirtificates.

we are looking at houses within a 20 min drive of hobart and beach. but not sure of best location to bring family up.

Any advise welcomed.

Welcome to PIO.

Hopefully a few Hobartians will pick this up and be able to come up with some advice for you guys.

Good luck with your Tasmania journey.

Susie x

Guest SunshineSmile

Any advise welcomed.

Hi guys,

We have been living in Hobart for just over 2 months now and we love it. It certainly has some lovely places to live and bring up children. We live a 10 minute drive from CBD and we are on the river with bush behind us, I think we have the best of both worlds.. any direction we choose to drive at the end of the road we live on will bring us to a beach within 10-30 mins.

Lots of families seem to favour the Kingston/Blackmans Bay areas, and whilst very nice, there is certainly lots more choice outside of those areas. I would suggest you check out www.realestate.com.au to look at area profiles and places to rent with prices etc. It is certainly very reasonable to buy property here, but I would not recommend buying right now. Rent, get a feel for all the areas and see what area would suit the lifestyle you want.

Im afraid I dont know much about the job front for mechanics, but my better half works in construction here and seems to think there wouldnt be much of a problem getting work with his quals (plant machinery) Work is not as abundant here as it is on the mainland, but there is work here for those with the right skills, I also think that willingness here goes a long way.

For you, work in home help care, Im not sure, (there is a freeze on recruitment at the moment in the health sector) but I would be confident that you would get a part time retail job in the city that might fit around your little ones and give you a starting point.. there is always adverts in shop windows for casual or part-time work.

Cost of living.. mmm well I dont like to make comment on this because there is such variation and everyone has different needs in terms of the cost of living.. how people live is a choice and that choice reflect a wide spectrum of cost (not sure if that makes sense :goofy:)

Hope that is of some help!.... Steph :wink:

Archived