Bricklayer work?

Guest V&G

Hi

We're still very much undecided as to what area we want to head for - the main criteria are:

1. year round warmth (dont mind tropical rain!)

2. affordable housing - we are looking for min 4 bed + 2 bath + pool up to AU$450k

3. WORK!! unfortunately although I intend to "pack it all in" Graham will still have to work to keep me & the kids in the lifestyle to which I am going to become used to!! No, seriously we do need to work out there as a little too young to retire.

We've looked at WA - Geraldton, NT - Katherine & now looking at Cairns - surrounding areas as the houses here seem to be lower prices that the other two areas - is there something we don't know?

Any advice - tried loads of websites but bricklaying jobs don't seem to be listed. Loads of friends tell us that brickies are in demand pretty much all over Oz but they don't advertise as it is a case of turn up and ask! Graham has a great track record having only worked for two employers in the past 18 years since he finished his apprenticeship so he has "staying power" and would prefer something permanent.

Any ideas or do we need to wait til we get there?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

• 2 months later...
Guest Sares

Hi tjere, we are heading out to Perth in September ti investigave the work situation so will be able to tell you what we found out on our return. In the meantime It seems that you have to register as a trade out there and until you have done that are only able to be employed rather than self employed. At last you are able to buy a house, have you considered renting for a while to see if you really like the area. I have heard the buliding trades are most in demand in the rural areas like York/northam/ Beverly. Some people want houses built there and have planning but due to the shortage of builders are having to wait two years.

Any way will be in touch soon

Sares x 8)

Guest ABCDiamond
Any advice - tried loads of websites but bricklaying jobs don't seem to be listed. Loads of friends tell us that brickies are in demand pretty much all over Oz but they don't advertise as it is a case of turn up and ask!
I cant say for sure, but with the shortgage of brickies, the employer doesn't need to advertise, word of mouth gets them there.

However, that's not good for a new arrival who doesn't know where to start.

I'd begin to collect names etc for building companies, so you can hit the ground running.

Friends in the local trade would be very useful at this point.

Archived