Ielts

mdmx33

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of getting my TRA assessment done and will then apply for a 175 visa before I leave for OZ on my working holiday visa. I'm looking at getting these english tests done so I can claim maximum points. Has anyone done any in the West Midlands and any idea how much these cost and how long they are valid for?

Guest NeilEB

Depends on the State and your job - you'd need to give us more info, or look at the website for the state you want,

Hi, I've applied for a 175. I was 5 points short so sat the IELTS in order to have sufficient points (If I remember correctly, IELTS at level 7 or above gives you 10 points). Sounds like you need to work out exactly how many points you'll have once your TRA assessment is processed before you know whether you'll need to sit IELTS or not. Also, although it wasn't relevant for me, I have a feeling some professions require you to have IELTS anyway but this varies according to which state you're going to work in.

Hi there I get 115 points without the points from it ielts or state sponsorship. I was tempted to go for the state sponsorship but didnt fancy being tied down to one state, althought at present I only have intentions of living in WA.

Yeah state sponsorship is an option but I will be going on a working holiday visa and will make sure i do 3 months specified work to get another 12 months as soon as i arrive so hopefully the visa may get approved before the 2 years are up. I may still get the state sponsorship if it helps with the processing times, as its still nice to get the residency quicker if it is granted.

i've been on the ielts website and looked at a their example tests and they look pretty straightforward. i cant find any information on the tra website mentioning that i would need to take the academic tests or the general. this immigration malarky is all very confusing :) know i know why a friend of mine does visas fo the UK and does very well out of it.

Its £115 currently (just paid for mine about 2 weeks ago) - several places to do it in W Midlands, Coventry, Rugby, Birmingham and so on - there is a finder function on the website, that allows you to see when the next Academic and/or General tests are at each centre...

http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/search_results.aspx?TestCentreSearchSubRegion=01502ae9-cf4b-46ba-8214-c5d4331a543d

Just select from the drop down list the place nearest to you, if thats not that soon, pick somewhere else nearby etc.

Generally you are ok with the general IELTs unless you want to study in Australia and need it for Uni entry - if you want to check can you not email your skills assessor and ask? (For eg, I am a teacher and got my skills done by the AITSL, so emailed them to ask - they replied general was ok, but I am doing the academic anyway (was already booked onto it and its pretty booked up now), as I got it into my head I needed it as a teacher, and thought I am covered either way then, especially if the rules change with the type you need when the rules change in July with the points change).

Yeah once you're out there try to stay out there if that's you're long term intention. I came back to the UK after going over on a working holiday visa, (I did have the option to stay as my employer suggested sponsoring me, but due to various issues I came back). Since I've been back I've decided to emigrate, and I think the whole process would have been much easier (and cheaper) if I'd just stayed in the country!

Archived