Barrow Island Wives

Guest Michelle78

Guest disneymumcork
Hi disneymumcork. No, we couldn't get out of there quick enough -- it was a nightmare! By the time DH left he hadn't been paid in three months. Oman is nicer, friendlier, but I wouldn't recommend the UAE. Having said that, I don't think your contract is worth the paper its written on over there, in any of the Arab countries, unless you work for a western company. We had fun, the kids had a good time, but there really was no future in the place for us so we were desperate to get Oz. DH is doing fifo now, me and the kids will arrive after christmas, and as much as I'm not looking forward to it, at least I know I will be a free country where the law is on my side!

Yeah, I've heard the same about some of the companies in Oman that hire labourers, one inparticular is somehting crazy like 10 months behind paying employees! Mental.

The one thing that is pushing me for Oman over Oz inthe FIFO situation. Not sure I could handle that, there is also more chance I'd get work in Oman than Oz (sounds bad but the lower standards in Oman would mean my current qualifications would be enough for me to get into the Ambulance Service)

How's your hubby finding Oz? Mine is mad pushing for the petrochem companies so Barrow Island and the Gorgon Project are deffo our direction in Oz.

Disneymumcork, you might find work easier in Oman, but let me warn you that you would be competing with Filipinos and Indians who will work for 150 euros a month. I'm not kidding, finding work in the UAE (and it will be the same in Oman) for the wives was virtually impossible unless you were willing to work for next to nothing.

I'm not thrilled about the fifo, but on the other hand, I spent three months this summer in Ireland, with dh in Dubai, not seeing each other due to the whole not being paid thing, and it was hell on earth...I will living off of loans from my family. After that, I can do anything, at least dH is being paid well in oz, and yes, he loves it there. I so don't want to go but he keeps saying 'wait til you get there, you will love it'

At least in Oz he will be paid, protected by the laws, and you will be paid properly for what you do. Sorry to sound so negative, but the middle east really shafted us and I couldn't ever recommend it to anyone. Saying that, I have friends there who have a blast, but if you have any conscience about slave labour, racism etc, you'll struggle there.

Where is your dh working now?

Disneymumcork, you might find work easier in Oman, but let me warn you that you would be competing with Filipinos and Indians who will work for 150 euros a month. I'm not kidding, finding work in the UAE (and it will be the same in Oman) for the wives was virtually impossible unless you were willing to work for next to nothing.

I'm not thrilled about the fifo, but on the other hand, I spent three months this summer in Ireland, with dh in Dubai, not seeing each other due to the whole not being paid thing, and it was hell on earth...I will living off of loans from my family. After that, I can do anything, at least dH is being paid well in oz, and yes, he loves it there. I so don't want to go but he keeps saying 'wait til you get there, you will love it'

At least in Oz he will be paid, protected by the laws, and you will be paid properly for what you do. Sorry to sound so negative, but the middle east really shafted us and I couldn't ever recommend it to anyone. Saying that, I have friends there who have a blast, but if you have any conscience about slave labour, racism etc, you'll struggle there.

Where is your dh working now?

Guest disneymumcork

He's not working unfortunately...well not really. He was made redundant March 09 and went back to finish his degree. He's finished college in May 2012 and is woring part time (ish) with a safety automation company here in Cork.

I'm working in admin here which I know isn't allowed in the GCC countries, my amb qualifications aren't high enough for work here and it is what I want to do. One more step and I'd be qualified for Oz too though so I'll do that in Jan 2012 hopefully.

We'll see, it's all so up in the air at the mo. We know we're going and himself has had an offer of sorts for a petrochem in WA (we must clear a medical first and then wait for any visa hiccups to be sorted) only issue is they want him over asap but it would be mad for him to waste the last 2 years work and not finish the degree.

I'm glad to hear your hubby loves it over, I'm sure you'll love it too once ye're all back together and like you say actually getting paid! :)

Guest Climear
hi michelle..I see from your posts that you are moving back to the uk. i am from ireland & moving to perth in the new year...my Oh will be doing the flyin/fly out option...I see your husband was dong that too..is it too nosey to ask why you are moving back? did you not like perth..did your husband not like the fly in /fly out option....just want to check out all the options..make sure we don't regret our decision..if it's something you don't want to talk about ...that's fine..thanks

hi cg1, from cork and my husband just offered job on fifo on barrow island too! hope to go out march approx. Any idea where you will be living. I have 2 young kids also so drop me a line.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

Not really sure how all this works I am very new to this! But here goes=) My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to Australia sometime in June, he was offered a position in Barrow Island by a close friend. He has worked for the industry for 12 years and believes this will be a great opportunity. However looking more into the location and the things I have read I have some concerns. Im not really sure how the living quarters work and I am a soon to be graduate of a respiratory therapist program here in the states and would be looking for my first position once we move. We are not sure where to live, or where I should live really and how easy it is to transition. Any helpful words would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all

I am very new to this so im not sure how it works but here goes! My boyfriend and I currently live in the states and he just recently was offered a position in Barrow Island from a friend, he has been working in the oil industry for 12 years. We are thinking the move will take place sometime this year in June, however I will be recently finishing my degree in respiratory therapy and will be in need of a position. We arent sure how the living arrangements work and where the best places to live are. It looks to me from reading that the living arrangements for the men are similair to a man camp or exactly that, I am feeling that there are alot of questions I have so if anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brickie001

Keep Barrow Island , I packed in after 7 months there its too restrictive get the same uplift on any other FIFO and get a proper RDO not a half day to kick round the camp.

Plus take in to account Barrow Time is slow deadly slow

Archived