NRL1 Form

The Hippo

In the process of trying to rent the house in the UK prior to coming across to Melbourne on 14th June for 2-years and I see it is possible to ensure that the letting agent does not deduct tax from any earnings via the NRL1 form.

Has anyone filled this form out previously and did you complete it prior to leaving the UK?

I see that from the form they ask for an overseas address and my work is happy to use their address as C/O. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

After completion of the form, do they send any form of certification on to you or the letting agent?

Just another thing on my list of things to do and feel as if I spend half my time filling out forms :wub:.

Thanks for any responses.

The Hippo

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

We completed this form before we left the UK. From memory, we sent the form off and then they sent something back to the agent AND us confirming that tax shouldn't be deducted. It didn't take long.

We used the address of a family friend in Sydney and my parents UK address for correspondence.

Hope this helps - was thinking I could pull someting out to remind myself of the process but by the time I wade through our paperwork you will have left the UK!!

All the best, Sarah

When you fill in the NRL1 form it asks for the name of the agent and their number that relates to all tax issues so ask your agent for this. Once HMRC receive your NRL1 form they allocate what's called an NRL number to you and send this as correspondance to the agent in question. When the agent is in receipt of this they will not deduct tax from your rental income. Couple of important things to note, if more than one of you own the property (ie husband and wife) you have to "each" fill in an NRL1 form, it isn't enough to just do it for the property. Also if HMRC don't send the NRL number to your agent before you start receiving rent, you may still be ok, as the agent is not required to pay over tax retained more frequently than I think on a quarterly basis. Obviously its still withheld from you by the agent but they don't forward that on to HMRC straight away (unless you're unfortunate enough to time it at the quarterly point the agent is passing on funds). Reason this is a bonus is once it goes to HMRC its an *rse getting it back compared to getting it off the agent.

Archived