Is it worth it?!

MattC

Hi folks!

Moved to Sydney from Perth in January and having an absolute nightmare, what could go wrong has gone wrong no matter how positive I am.

I have looked for accomodation, but can't find anything that feels remotely like home and am now in a motel again!!

Luckily I've no family, but with working in and around Belle Vista finding it hard to establish myself properly. Finding the city super expensive also.

Having one of those days where I wonder if it's worth sticking in Oz or returning to the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, surely its got to get better!!??

Matt

Not easy making a move to a new city.

My advice hang in there. I guess if you had accommodation where you felt more at home that would also help you feel more settled. As you are on your own why not consider a house share situation. It will be a bit more homely than a motel and you may even get some good house mates into the bargain. That will at least give you a chance to catch your breath, look around and then find something else that suits you better. Break it down into a series of smaller steps.

Maybe work out for yourself a couple of short term and medium term goals. So if you think that ok if I stay in this cheaper shared accommodation for 3 months I will have saved enough for the deposit for a better type of accommodation then you dont get so hung up on the non ideal accommodation cause it is part of the journey not the destination.

Look for ways of saving money and doing free activities. At least if you are out and about you can forget your worries for a while. See if there are others from PIO who are in that area who you can get together with - will at least help you to feel less isolated.

The wobbles you are having are natural - dont give up and go back, I think you would always wonder what if.... You are on your own which makes it also difficult and lonely but on the other hand you dont have to worry about moving children from schools or having a wife who isnt on the same page as you. You admit you have recently moved so you are still feeling a bit unsettled, give yourself credit and dont beat yourself up. Perhaps work out some alternatives for yourself e.g. if after 6 months I am no happier, then what? That will at least take the pressure off you from a NOW decision and gives you a chance to see how things pan out.

Archived