Aerospace Industry

sykestykes

Hi All

Does anyone have any idea about the jobs situation with regard to the Aerospace industry?

Is is mainly based just in South Australia?

Also, I know there are restrictions on security clearance if you are not an Australian Citizen (all the jobs that need security clearance tell you basically not to bother if yoiu arent a Citizen already, or eligible to apply).

We have heard (though not through anyone official) that if the company wants your experience and qualifications, they can apply to the Government to get a waiver for the Citizenship issue. Does any one have any experience in this area, as Mr Tyke would like to continue in this field. He currently has UK security clearance (which we know means "NOWT" in Australia).:arghh:

Thanks for any advice.

Mrs Tyke

Guest The Smiths

Hi,

My hubby works for aerospace and also worked in the forces prior to that. Everytime I look for jobs for him it always states that you have to be an Australian Citizen for security. Yet, his job {Aircraft Fitter** is on the MODL. Im quite puzzled by this.

If you find anything out could you please let us no. Id hate to apply for a visa and realise theres no jobs out there for him.

Deb

Hello, Mr Tyke here.

As far as I have been told, your job can be on the MODL but it depends on where you want to work (either civilian or military) which requires the security. Your hubby could get a civvy aircraft fitter position without the security. However, if like me he is working on military aircraft and wishes to continue to do so, he will have to wait two years (currently) until he is eligible to apply for citizenship before he can regain (through application) his security clearance. I am hoping that my skills are so fantastic and in demand (I wish) that a company snaps me up and applies for a waiver. It's either that or work in a civvy job.

If anyone knows different I would love to find out.

Mr Tyke

Guest fatpom

I worked in Aerospace for almost 20 years back in the UK. Mostly as a manf engineer on large civil turbofans (dev & prod).

Haven't worked at all in Aus in aerospace. Two problems for me existed. My job (in Aus) requires a degree. I've got post grad quals but not the all important B.Eng. If I was still on the tools that wouldn't be a problem. There was at that time (10 yrs ago) a problem with finding work in aerospace manfacturing, design or development without citizenship since some military work is always probable I suppose?

After being here a while I decided it probably wasn't worth looking for aerospace work anyway. Its a small industry & events after the twin tower terrorist attack showed it was very susceptible to demand. Its basically treated like a cheap english speaking sub-contract resource by the American companies.

Having said all that if you're looking for aerospace work then there is Boeing in Milperra-Sydney, Wiiliamstown (I think?) near Newcastle, Amberley-Brisbane, Fishermans Bend-Melb amongst others. Pacific Turbines at Milperra might still be in business, Ball Aerospace in Sydney & Bris (I think?). Richmond Airport-Sydney probably employ civilians since I did airframe work for them back in UK.

Finally just a word of caution. An ex colleague of mine came out to aus 3 months before me. He wouldn't consider anything other than aerospace work (he had degree & loads of experience). He (his wife & kids) ended up back in UK broke just before I left. Scared the life out of me. Be flexible.

Hi Pom

You're absolutely right about keeping your options open.

Luckily, I haven't worked exclusively in Aerospace, so I would be able to work outside that industry. Although I would prefer to continue in working in that area, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is whether we're all happy, so am willing to consider all the options.

Archived