Taking pets - rabies?

Guest The Mackie's

Guest The Mackie's

Hi, do you have to wait 8 months for them to be blood tested after the initial rabies injection to makesure it has worked? Zeta

Hi' date=' do you have to wait 8 months for them to be blood tested after the initial rabies injection to makesure it has worked? Zeta[/quote']

Zeta, to be honest i'm not sure as my husband took them to have the injections but I do remember him saying that there is something else that needs to be done but it is only valuid for 6 months so not worth having done yet!! Sorry I know thats no help at all.

Ile call our vets tomorrow to ask

Kim

Guest Curlysoo

..Have a look at .. www.daff.gov.au/aqis that gives you all the info you need ... there is a link about bringing a dog or cat into Oz.

I could be wrong but I thought the blood test was to make sure they are rabies free ... coz there isnt a rabies preventative vaccine is there? .. which is why they go into quarantine on arrival to make sure they are disease free ... I call it puppy prison .... :no:

Sue ..X

I am also planning to take my dog in. If I read correctly the AQIS website, dogs from UK are considered rabies-free and therefore is quarantined for 30 days. And therefore, they do not require rabies vaccination.

Can someone confirm that please?

Thanks.

What I would like to know is do dogs leaving UK require an export certificate or PET passport ? I know about the import permit required by the Australian government?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Glen & Shirl

Hi there. We are taking our two dogs next spring/Summer and I went to the vet last month to get one of them chipped who hadn't previously been done. My vet firstly asked me "when are you going?" and consequently told me that when the dogs have there standard yearly jab in February 2008 (which they have every year without fail....keeps them safe from all the UK stuff) to leave out the rabies aspect of it. Basically when I take them in Feb I will make sure I mention "dont give them the rabies part". This is because they will need it with the jabs for migration to Aus in Spring/Summer nearer the time.

Other than that, 6 weeks before going, contact them and I think all jabs can be done in last 4 weeks roughly. 6 weekly appointment will clarify.

If we change our plans and go earlier than Spring/Summer 2008 I will, of course, contact my vet immediately and get further advice. Simple!

Your best bet is to ask your vet I think. If they cannot answer you straight away they will direct you to who can.

Is not worth guessing I say.....!

Him and one other at the practise are qualified in migrating pets so can advise accurately.

Failing this the DEFRA website should tell you all you need to know. I looked here and I must admit....being a worrier.....I asked my vet anyway as jargon can confuse, if you know what I mean!

He also told me that they only need a pet passport if they are returning. If not sure....this part can be done from Aus if you decide to return at later date, so don't worry about it if you want to stay in Aus.

Whatever I say though....check with your vet!

Good luck and if you need any other advice on pets just shout x

Archived